Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 08-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Pathfinder
Is one meal per day a death sentence?

I hope this comes across as clearly as I intend.

Over time I have become doubtful about the information about much a person's caloric intake should be depending on the BMR (basic metabolic rate), the recommended amount of certain nutrients, etc. In the U.S., people are encouraged to eat BIG, supersize, etc. Even without that level of encouragement, people on a raw foods diet are still told that unless they take in a minimum amount of calories per day, they will be malnourished in one way or another.

Could it be that our bodies are more complex than nutrition labels indicate? I think about those in the third world, as it's called, who live on less than $1 per day, who may eat one handful of food per day, if the opportunity presents itself. Are all of the bodies there malnourished, or do their bodies adjust to the conditions?

On top of all this are the differences between emphasis on life expectancy across the world. In the developed world, as it's called, conditioning is set in place for people to believe that the length of incarnate life is important, as well as the preservation of youthfulness. So, many people make sure to take in enough calories or at least the right amount of nutrients. But, what would happen if a person overhauled the traditional diets and really ate one meal per day? Is that really a death sentence?

I'd love your input on this!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Deactivated Account
I usually eat only one meal a day, I can't eat in a morning, and i'm rarely hungry before teatime, i'm not ill or anything and my diet is very good, it's just the way I am. All of that said, for someone who is used to eating three meals a day to suddenly drop down to one could cause problems, also any meds which are being taken should be taken into account, as should any health conditions.

If anyone plans to make any dietry changes, especially quite large ones they should seek the advice of a doctor or dietician.

I've heard/read that people generally eat far more than they actually need, as you say supersize portions and such.

Spiritual Inspiration

The forum for seekers everywhere...
Old 08-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
I usually eat only one meal a day, I can't eat in a morning, and i'm rarely hungry before teatime, i'm not ill or anything and my diet is very good, it's just the way I am. All of that said, for someone who is used to eating three meals a day to suddenly drop down to one could cause problems, also any meds which are being taken should be taken into account, as should any health conditions.

If anyone plans to make any dietry changes, especially quite large ones they should seek the advice of a doctor or dietician.

I've heard/read that people generally eat far more than they actually need, as you say supersize portions and such.

I am the same Daisy....I eat one meal a day and have no health issues (nor weight problems).
Old 08-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Master
Continual eating of a certain way will cause your body to slow down to preserve itself. So if you are eating only one meal a day your body's metabolism will slow down to not burn through the food fast. The downside to that is that your body, if needing energy, will burn through vital nutrients to fuel itself. Such as fat, muscle, etc.

Now eating only one meal a day would always tax your body if you were a very active person doing sports, or exercise. Your body will not get the fuel it needs for such things.

Can a person survive with only one meal? Possible. Would they be at optimum or even a good health? Debatable I'm sure... But then are they only eating one meal that whole day and that is it or are they grazing snacks throughout the day?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Master
I eat one meal a day, maybe with a little fruit here and there, and feel great.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Master

The ancients ate one meal a day.

Each to their own. You know when you're hungry and when your blood sugar needs a boost.

A piece of advice I would give strongly is not to eat too late in the day, certainly not a heavy meal. The body repairs and 'rejuvenates' itself at night, it can't do that if it has a stomach full of food to work through.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSkye
But, what would happen if a person overhauled the traditional diets and really ate one meal per day?
Not sure why you would assume this is so unusual StarSkye. It's becoming very common from my experiences. When I was eating a traditional diet years ago, I had pretty much whittled things down to one meal a day, with snacks in-between. I'm strictly a liquid diet fiend now and have been for years, so all that no longer applies. But as I said, it's much more common among enlightened eaters than you seem to think.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Knower
I don't think it is. Each person has different nutritional requirements in my opinion (though am not a medical professional lol). Everyone has different bone densities, are different sizes, and different metabolic rates.

What's right for another person isn't necessarily right for another. That's why I don't really like going by weight vs. height because the person can have more denser bones than another, could have a larger natural body weight than another etc.

From what I've heard actually the natural body weight that the body tries to keep throughout life can be set by the diet of the mother while the child is in her womb! Found that kinda cool... Guess I can't pig out on cravings when/if I do get them if I get pregnant!

Still it is good to keep in mind portion sizes to when you do have one meal a day because if you stuff yourself to full it can stretch your stomach. Sorry if I'm rambling btw lol
Old 09-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensitivesoul
I don't think it is. Each person has different nutritional requirements in my opinion (though am not a medical professional lol). Everyone has different bone densities, are different sizes, and different metabolic rates.

What's right for another person isn't necessarily right for another. That's why I don't really like going by weight vs. height because the person can have more denser bones than another, could have a larger natural body weight than another etc.

From what I've heard actually the natural body weight that the body tries to keep throughout life can be set by the diet of the mother while the child is in her womb! Found that kinda cool... Guess I can't pig out on cravings when/if I do get them if I get pregnant!

Still it is good to keep in mind portion sizes to when you do have one meal a day because if you stuff yourself to full it can stretch your stomach. Sorry if I'm rambling btw lol

With this also in mind; with big meals you take in more calories than your body needs so it will end up just sitting there and the access calories could turn into fat. Find it's a much better option to eat smaller meals through the day that way you feel contently full but not stuffed.

Though alot of people could find it unsatisfying to only eat a meal of all veg or fruit, they might feel they need to include some sort of protein or fat as that could make you feel more satisfied. Plus the extra fat also allows you to absorb certain nutrients easier as well.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 AM
CatChild

I eat one meal a day as well; I also only eat when I'm hungry.

I nibble small amounts (grazing) here and there and am rarely hungry.

I do not struggle with weight issues either.

There are several foods that I don't like to eat due to texture/flavor etc.

My favorite foods are very spicy hot curry and sushi.

I enjoy most fruits and veggies and prefer to eat them raw- I cannot tolerate anything gooey such as chewing soft, white bread or doughnuts.

I detest rhubarb, ice cream and pork/red meat.