Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 14-05-2011, 04:29 AM
MoonDancer

What do you listen to?

I think part of my difficulty quieting my thoughts is what is going through my ears. I cannot stand silence...ever. So I usually have a fun on, but music distracts me, it has to be a constant type of flow. I think I'm going to try the nature sounds on my radio. What do you all use?
Old 14-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Master
I think you've got a good idea there for yourself, the nature sounds.

Do you have a song or two that really do it for you? You can just hear the songs or the sounds in my mind's ear, lol, y'know? I think that would be good practice for you, too during meditation efforts, you might discover that after playing sounds you like in your mind might get old and you might actually start kinda enjoying the quietness, not that it matters one way or the other, just attempting to get your meditation off the ground.

Old 14-05-2011, 04:52 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAngel
I think part of my difficulty quieting my thoughts is what is going through my ears. I cannot stand silence...ever. So I usually have a fun on, but music distracts me, it has to be a constant type of flow. I think I'm going to try the nature sounds on my radio. What do you all use?

I can understand what you mean about music being distracting, it is that way for me too. I use drumming before I meditate it helps me to get in tune with my natural rhythm and helps to quite any nervous energy. I think nature sounds would be a good alternative, they are flowing and rhythmic may work great for you.

nightowl
Old 14-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Master
Quote:

When it is very quiet you might notice there is a sound which is in your head. I have a high pitched sound. It is very relaxing to listen to that sound and as the mind focuses on it there is more and more detail to it. It's a good way to meditate.
Old 14-05-2011, 05:23 AM
MoonDancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
When it is very quiet you might notice there is a sound which is in your head. I have a high pitched sound. It is very relaxing to listen to that sound and as the mind focuses on it there is more and more detail to it. It's a good way to meditate.
That's what I cannot stand! haha that high pitched sound
Old 14-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Master
Quote:
That's what I cannot stand! haha that high pitched sound

Maybe you are seeing it as a nasty sound, but why not try to just listen to it in a curious way, listen to it in a curious accepting way and accept what it really sounds like
Old 17-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Master
Gem is right, DA... If you fight against the sound it can be very irritating. However, when you let go and simply listen this is a simple way to increase your spiritual growth in very subtle ways. Once I began this practice several years ago things got easier and deeper quite fast.

Here's a thread on the subject: The Inner Sound Current - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3703

Xan

Old 18-05-2011, 02:00 AM
bionic

Water sounds are always very soothing and create a great ambiance :)
Old 18-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Master
Quote:

Techno. Its repetitive and not as distracting as most other types of music.
Old 18-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Medium_Laura

Quote:

I write my own guided meditations, and after I get over the fact that I hate my voice ( lol ) they work very well for me.

http://mediumlauraevans.podomatic.co...16_15_23-08_00