Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 28-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Master
Reincarnation

Which "type" of buddhism accepts reincarnation ? I've heard for a monk as part of their initiation, they need to remember their past lives.

I would've thought reincarnation is accepted across the board, but apparently it's not.

thanks
Old 28-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Master
I think Buddaism like Christianit with all of its break always, is becoming or has already become, nothing but an ideology, a belief system, a crutch, no matter what we believe in, to realize our true Self we have to kick away the crutch, be it Buddaism, Christianity, or whatever belief system, and the belief of reincarntion must go also, for it only keeps you chained to the mind body.
Old 28-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneness
Which "type" of buddhism accepts reincarnation ? I've heard for a monk as part of their initiation, they need to remember their past lives.

I would've thought reincarnation is accepted across the board, but apparently it's not.

thanks

As I understand it, Indian Buddhism and its off-shoot of SE Asian Buddhism, and Tibetan Buddhism all accept the notion of reincarnation.
(Speaking from memory, the last survey here in the UK found that around 25%of British people accepted the notion.)

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 29-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Greg

First of all many people mistake Reincarnation and re-birth, two different concepts. Buddhism accepts the latter. Secondly you don't have to believe in anything to to follow any type of Buddhism. Tibetan Buddhism has all kinds of colourful explanations as to what happens when you die and then are returned, it's all conjecture. Theravada Buddhism talks of re-birth a lot but is less clear on the after death process. Zen hardly ever speaks of re-birth because it is not relevant to what's happening NOW.
Old 29-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
First of all many people mistake Reincarnation and re-birth, two different concepts. Buddhism accepts the latter. Secondly you don't have to believe in anything to to follow any type of Buddhism. Tibetan Buddhism has all kinds of colourful explanations as to what happens when you die and then are returned, it's all conjecture. Theravada Buddhism talks of re-birth a lot but is less clear on the after death process. Zen hardly ever speaks of re-birth because it is not relevant to what's happening NOW.

Just curious as to what the difference is between the two. I never heard them opposed to each other.
Old 29-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Master
...it's all conjecture.

or it's people's experience in dimensions beyond this one.

Xan

Old 29-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Master
In my current understanding Buddhism is about NOW , NOW is "reincarnation" from before and NOW is also "in reincarnation" of the future .......reincarnation to me is not closing one chapter and opening another new chapter ....reincarnation is same as living in daily life , leaving last moment embrassing new moment ....all being is in own purification process releasing its polluted energy towards emptiness ....so death , survival , birth is all names given by human . Human creates own confusion / suffering by own knowledge .......human suffering by own knowledge which they choose to accept .

Thks
CSEe
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM
NIRVANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
I think Buddaism like Christianit with all of its break always, is becoming or has already become, nothing but an ideology, a belief system, a crutch, no matter what we believe in, to realize our true Self we have to kick away the crutch, be it Buddaism, Christianity, or whatever belief system, and the belief of reincarntion must go also, for it only keeps you chained to the mind body.

Yes Buddhism like other religions can put you into a mental box . I did vajrayana for a number of years and now just really do zen meditation.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRVANA
Yes Buddhism like other religions can put you into a mental box . I did vajrayana for a number of years and now just really do zen meditation.
Yes for some reason I like Zen also.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 AM
amy green

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
Just curious as to what the difference is between the two. I never heard them opposed to each other.
(From wiki.answers.com)

The difference between the reincarnation of Hinduism and rebirth in Buddhism is that the former involves a soul transmigrating from one life to another; the latter does not. Buddhism teaches that there is no soul to be reborn.

Hinduism teaches that you have an internal soul that continues in a process of reincarnation while inheriting the karma of your past life. Whereas Buddha describes reincarnation as transmigration. Based on his no soul doctrine,the Buddha compared it to lighting successive candles using the flame of the preceding candle. Although each flame is causally connected to the one that came before it, it is not the same flame.

Buddha taught that we are a fine mesh of our physical form and are mental consciousness. This fine fabric, which we call self, is always changing and learning. So technically we are reborn every moment. When we die, our physical form dies. All that we claim we are dies along with it. But the energies associated with our consciousness keep flowing along with our karma. Just as the energies of our body are refused back into the earth, so is the fate of our conscious energies. Those energies are then propelled out the same direction we were headed when we were alive. Thus being used again by another life.