Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Knower
Jainism

I put this here because it is quite like Buddhism, actually outdating it but does not have its own forum.

Is there anyone else here interested in it? I've found it to be more appealing to me than Buddhism as it actually has rational logic behind its view of the cosmos. Also I've never been comfortable with the motives of the Buddha himself.

The Buddha actually admonished Jainism and helped its decline, while the Jainists believe all points of view are equally valid and thus felt no need to push itself "ahead" in the game so to speak.

I'm still learning about this religion but honestly it seems great.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 PM
sunstone

re: jainism

Jainism is a religion I have spent time reading about. The idea of so much effort made in doing no harm was something I thought about. The thing I found odd though was the compassion wasn't actually compassion, it was an effort to save oneself from another reincarnation, to keep from marring one's karma.

I guess though, as I think of it, that's what many religions teach about doing good deeds so we can get to "heaven". I never thought of it that way until just now. I'll have to think on this again now, God/dess willing. :)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 AM
sahaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex23
I put this here because it is quite like Buddhism, actually outdating it but does not have its own forum.

Is there anyone else here interested in it? I've found it to be more appealing to me than Buddhism as it actually has rational logic behind its view of the cosmos. Also I've never been comfortable with the motives of the Buddha himself.

The Buddha actually admonished Jainism and helped its decline, while the Jainists believe all points of view are equally valid and thus felt no need to push itself "ahead" in the game so to speak.

I'm still learning about this religion but honestly it seems great.

I could easily be wrong but i thought Jainism was closer to Hinduism.

What do you mean 'out dating' Buddhism? Some times these things are difficult to date. It depends on who is dating them and when they choose to date them from. My school dates Buddhism since practically the beginning of time. The first Buddha was not the Gautama Buddha. It is not a human creation or discovery.

"....not being comfortable with the 'Buddha himself'"? Buddha is not a person. It means 'awake', 'enlightened'. __"I am awake."__Siddhartha Gautama, the dreamer, was no more.

Out of curiosity, just what do you think those motives are?

I don't know what the Jainism's points of view are but all of Illusion carries the same validity - None!

You're still learning about Jainism and i would suggest you learn a little about Buddhism also before you try to compare the two. Otherwise you might just appear the fool.

My Sanga is - Tradition: Vajrayana, Tibetan, Dzogchen. Atiyoga. Mahasiddha/Siddha style.
What is your School/Tradition?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Image is from Teachings of The Buddha:

http://www.teachingsofthebuddha.com/i_am_awake.htm

The quote is from the Samyutta Nikaya.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Knower
Buddhism is far closer to Hinduism than Jainism so I'm not sure exactly what you are speaking about. I know a fair bit about Buddhism considering I've read the Dhammapada at least 15 times, and own quite a bit of literature on the subject and have studied it extensively.

1) It's a fact that Jainism outdates Buddhism. It was around before Siddhārtha Gautama was even born.

2) When someone says "The Buddha" the obviously mean Siddhārtha Gautama.

My opinion is that Siddhārtha Gautama was actually a very self centered man who by manipulating other religions was able to create his own where he is the spear head. If you read things he actually said and look at religions of the time it becomes pretty obvious. The story of sitting under the tree to reach enlightenment is actually eerily close to the Jainist story of Mahavira who sat by a river to do the same, before the Buddha who was a contemporary.

In fact the Dhammapada itself takes exact verses from Hindu writings.

<>

Edited by SF Staff

Last edited by arive nan : 07-12-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:

My opinion is that Siddhārtha Gautama was actually a very self centered man who by manipulating other religions was able to create his own where he is the spear head. If you read things he actually said and look at religions of the time it becomes pretty obvious. The story of sitting under the tree to reach enlightenment is actually eerily close to the Jainist story of Mahavira who sat by a river to do the same, before the Buddha who was a contemporary.

In fact the Dhammapada itself takes exact verses from Hindu writings.

It is sad indeed that you have this opinion. I do not know what gives you this impression. If you study historical data regarding ANY and ALL Indian mystics you will notice that 99% of them gained what they believe to be enlightenment at the foot of a tree or in a cave. That's just how they did and still do it here in India even now in the modern age. No one is copying anyone it is standard practice for monks to leave the trappings of society for forests and caves to meditate in seclusion. I live in India and have studied both teachings and have numerous friends who have been brought up in both teachings. Let me try to help you understand a few things.

1)You see Mahavir was a contemporary of the Buddha and their teachings grew alongside each other. As they both passed on, their followers competed with each other and maligned each other. I have seen many instances of attempts to malign the other religion in the texts of each religion but if you truly understand the teachings of both men you would realize that this is something that they themselves would never do. It's a corruption their followers were responsible for.
2) At the time of the Buddha and Mahavir there was no such thing as "Hinduism". In those days we had what was called the Vedic religion expressed in two forms, one called Brahminism where the priestly class undertook rituals for the masses and themselves to attract the favor of the gods and the other was what is described as asceticism, which is the path of the lone monk who spends countless hours meditating in seclusion away from society living a simple celibate life, the opposite of the priestly class. Both the teachings grew and developed from this latter form of spiritual practice.
3) The Buddha and Mahavir both used terminology known at that time to explain their teaching so as to minimize confusion. Therefore you find "Hindu/Vedic" words in their vocabulary this does not mean they "stole" anything from Hinduism, it just means they used the same language and concepts to get their message heard and understood faster. Of course being in a place where the vedic religion was practiced meant that their philosophies were also influenced by vedic philosophy to an extent.
4) It is interesting to note that there are many similarities between the two teachings and many of the Jain Tirthankars of the past have the exact same names as Buddhas from the past. Both teachings share 4 out of 5 precepts which are the basic requirements to be considered a true follower in spirit. And both talk of the same historical cycle (where an enlightened person arises to teach the way, then passes away, the teaching inevitably gets corrupted, then a new enlightened teacher arises). Thus with regards to this even though there is no archaeological or historical evidence to support it both teachings claim to be older than their historical founders.
5) The only real difference was that the Buddha said that intention is also kamma and important for the cessation of kamma, while Mahavir laid more emphasis on action rather than intention. Let me give you an example. If a blind man walks over an ant and kills it as far as the Buddha is concerned he has not generated bad karma (kamma in pali) because he did not intend it, it happened by mistake, but as far as Mahavir is concerned the man has generated negative karma regardless of the fact that he did not intend it. Which is why fundamentalist Jains where a white mask to prevent small organisms from being accidentally inhaled and killed.

Also I disagree with your first post that the Buddha caused the decline of Jainism (it is still very strong especially in western India and as I said above any negativity between the two can be attributed to less developed competitive followers of both teachings. In fact it is doing better in India than Buddhism is).
Also Jains do not believe that all points of view are equally valid. I do not know where you read that. The Jains believe that the supreme goal is release from the cycle of birth and death (as do Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhists) but they believe this is only possible when your negative karma has been paid off in full. Which is why the monks engage in hardcore ascetic practices which are often painful or lead to their death. Obviously all points of view are not valid, just the points of view that lead to their karma being extinguished even if it means suicide by fasting (santhara) which the Buddha was against.
Old 13-01-2014, 12:41 AM
Hermes

maejin thank you for your post it was very interesting
Old 08-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Pathfinder
Well written Maejin. That being said Shingon does teach of Mahavira and not only attribute his name to the lessons but also revere him as one of the buddhas to be called on during ceremony.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
oliness

Quote:

Jainism doesn't teach that all points of view are equally valid. It teaches a very specific, uncompromising view - that you acquire bad karma through killing anything and can only be liberated by ceasing to kill. It also teaches that the individual soul remains individual after liberation.

Jainism is still fairly active in India. It didn't become larger and didn't spread outside India much because its ethics is too hard for most people. Buddhism generally accepted a more moderate view (didn't insist on vegetarianism, etc) which allowed it to spread. Jainism is a powerful teaching and if you can follow it, then go for it. But it was never an "anything goes" religion. It's the most extreme, ascetic mainstream religion there is. It was never persecuted by Buddhism or anything else. Just it didn't spread further because its ethical standards are very difficult to live up to.