Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Dharmagosha

The first post (and others that follow it) are the best descriptions I've yet read of Buddhist 'Emptiness'. Of course it is, by it's nature, not something that can be easily put into words or intellectualized but the above is the best job so far!

When I was new to Buddhism, and practicing meditation I read someone's "explanation" of emptiness over on the Religious Forums and it broke my heart (yes, attachment I know), as it was described poorly, in an almost pessimistic, gloomy way; you are nothing, you do not exist. Almost as someone else said, just like a biological machine. Of course all of those descriptions were out of context; because the fundamental point of 'emptiness' had not been explained alongside.

Buddhism is about peace and happiness; compassion and kindness, and emptiness is a big part of those positive, skillful aspects.

But when explained poorly, 'emptiness' can be a big turn off for people looking at Buddhism.

Namaste.
Old 21-01-2014, 03:05 PM
LillyMoon

Emptiness is what one defines it to be.
Old 21-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Master
Smile

@Darmagosha>>>Yeah, Mayflow did an excellent job of it -- I've been participating in a forum heavy on non-duality and related stuff like Buddhism and Mayflow's words help my understanding along immensely -- they call it 'the ineffable' over there.
@Mayflow>>>Hey, thanks buddhy! Fantastic way to start my morning.