Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 12-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Knower

Group Mind vs. Individual Mind/Sacrifcing individual mind in favor of the group

Maybe it's just me (pun intended) but ive been having a little trouble understanding why its such a commonality for people for people to so readily change themselves, going against their better judgement, to fit in with whatever social circle they're part of, or want to be. Even in countercultures like hippy, goth, or (insert whatever group here) there seems to be certain trends in fashion, music, etc, and I know it's normal for people to want to fit in/belong to something, but I'd like some more insight on this. Is there such a thing as individuality, and does it matter?

It's a cliche (ironically enough) but I've never felt particularly at home in any particular group, though at times I perceive of a certain pressure to change myself to belong, but that just feels so wrong to me in a way I can't accurately describe on my phone at 12:20am on Tuesday morning. But, at the same time, I see the beauty that exists in people coming together through sharing things in common.

Do you think it's a manifestation of ego to resist what I'll call "group-mindedness"?
Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 PM
amy green

Maybe your individuality resists the restriction that comes with having to conform to a particular group. On that I commend you - I don't like to compromise my authenticity either!
Old 13-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker89
Maybe it's just me (pun intended) but ive been having a little trouble understanding why its such a commonality for people for people to so readily change themselves, going against their better judgement, to fit in with whatever social circle they're part of, or want to be. Even in countercultures like hippy, goth, or (insert whatever group here) there seems to be certain trends in fashion, music, etc, and I know it's normal for people to want to fit in/belong to something, but I'd like some more insight on this. Is there such a thing as individuality, and does it matter?

It's a cliche (ironically enough) but I've never felt particularly at home in any particular group, though at times I perceive of a certain pressure to change myself to belong, but that just feels so wrong to me in a way I can't accurately describe on my phone at 12:20am on Tuesday morning. But, at the same time, I see the beauty that exists in people coming together through sharing things in common.

Do you think it's a manifestation of ego to resist what I'll call "group-mindedness"?
Being an individual is a hard thing to do. I think its something you have to find in yourself and to me that's where the journey begins. I'm the same way and I'm happy to be the way I am.

My intuition boldly has said its the follower mentality that is dangerous. Not exactly in those words as i cant remember how it was said exactly. But i remember the message. So with that message I'm again happy to be myself before groups and such.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 13-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Master
Being an Individual is the most beautiful thing you can ever do for yourself, you cannot love another or truly understand another if you have never known your individual self. So many join groups because they feel inferior and alone, they are really like parasites, pardon the term.
Old 13-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Knower

Thanks for your replies, you guys make some good points. I think seeking individuality could go either way in terms of becoming a product of ego - On the one hand, it could be easy to go, "well *bleep* all of you, up yours, I'm so different blah blah blah" but, on the other hand to go about it from having cultivated yourself in more positive ways, it could encourage others to do the same, and possibly create a very powerful change for the better on Earth.
Old 13-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Experiencer
the ego wants for conformity, so it pushes you to group action.
Old 13-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker89
Thanks for your replies, you guys make some good points. I think seeking individuality could go either way in terms of becoming a product of ego - On the one hand, it could be easy to go, "well *bleep* all of you, up yours, I'm so different blah blah blah" but, on the other hand to go about it from having cultivated yourself in more positive ways, it could encourage others to do the same, and possibly create a very powerful change for the better on Earth.

Seeker is this what being individual means to us, it's not conflict, bad words, power projection, the negative, the thing we are good at. It's a little simpler. Think of it this way. You would act the same way in the group as you would yourself act alone.

There was that little video Amy posted, walk the walk. It's like that....... Simply know yourself fully.