Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 15-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Experiencer

Could our personalities and deep connections be why we like certain bands?

I'm a musician. I thought of this today while watching an interview of my favorite band and realizing that I see a lot of myself in the main guys in that band. Just their mannerisms, their likes and dislikes, how they answer questions, just their general personalities seem to be very similar to my own. Could this be why we prefer certain bands, and why we just hate others? Does it maybe have something to do with our inner personalities, or just having a lot in common with them? Or even deeper connections than that? Just curious. I thought it was an interesting observation, myself. Of course, it could just be a coincidence for me.
Old 15-11-2012, 09:11 PM
InFurs

As a musician myself (or one to be in the future) this caught my eye. I wouldn't say anything like a "deep connection" though it's totally possible in some cases with certain people, you never know. I've noticed the same thing; the bands I like tend to have a similar personality as me, but I really think it's just the vibe of the music attracts certain people. For example deep music attracts deep people created by deep people, or depressing or childish or whatever the adjective. It's also very likely the band/musician will have a profound effect you can't help but feel a connection with them. Well you know they're doing a good job once their fans feel like that.

But this is my opinion. We never know with the world!
I have a feeling we might like the same bands.
Old 16-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Ciqala

Of course, music vibrates in frequencies.
And an artist is a creator! An artist can easily bridge the gap between realms, and he/she can create their feelings, their vibrations their level of frequency, and this is therefore put out into the world to be attracted to other likeminded individuals - like attracts like!
When you hear a piece of music you can feel it and sense it with your heart and your very being, and its energies bring you closer to those who created it, singers, lyric writers, ect that you are on the same wave length to.
The problem is in this day of age, not every band creates their own music, thus the piece written is not their own and the deep attraction is to the original owner, not them.
And then there are more obvious reasons, such as a band that plays a stereotypical genre of music, the band members may act in a stereotypical kind of way, if you are interested in that kind of music chances are your personality type is the type that is into that kind of scene.
Old 16-11-2012, 03:31 AM
Experiencer

That makes sense. In my particular case (though I'm sure I'm not alone here), a lot of it stems from watching "home" videos (behind the scenes band videos and stuff) and interviews. I've noticed that my favorite singer reminds me a lot of myself in ways. But I would expect, as you said, that if you're a very mellow person, you probably wouldn't like, say, an aggressive heavy metal band if the band members are the total oppostie of yourself.
Old 19-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanalei
I'm a musician. I thought of this today while watching an interview of my favorite band and realizing that I see a lot of myself in the main guys in that band. Just their mannerisms, their likes and dislikes, how they answer questions, just their general personalities seem to be very similar to my own. Could this be why we prefer certain bands, and why we just hate others? Does it maybe have something to do with our inner personalities, or just having a lot in common with them? Or even deeper connections than that? Just curious. I thought it was an interesting observation, myself. Of course, it could just be a coincidence for me.

i like this thread. i never would of put the two togeather like that before, but you are right Hanalei. this has to be the reson why i'm drawn to certain types of musicians too. for instance i really like old school music. and i love old school rap groups like, n.w.a. public enemy, bone thugs n harmony. from the early 80s and mid 1990s. i gussse also what the artist talks about also resonates with me as well. they are more on consious level and unlike some of the mainstream rap we have out now i can't really relate to them. but than again i listen to alternative rock and i get alot of hassle because i like coldplay, panic at the disco, linkin park. i'm open minded to listening too a varity of music. and i also think because of how i grew up that also infuenced on what i listened to. but my personality has changed over time and when i get into a new gener of music it's almost like i'ts learning experince because it wouldn't be the norm of what maybe typical teenager girl listens to. have you ever heard of shlomo ? this guy's work is amazing. he thinks outside the box and i do to and i hear his songs its just clicks.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsearching
because it wouldn't be the norm of what maybe typical teenager girl listens to.

I actually get that a lot (teen girl myself!) I listen to classic and hard rock, mostly. No, I haven't heard of schlomo. It just seems to make sense to me that we must be similar on a deeper level to certain bands, at least the ones that we inexplicably like or feel very close to. Not so much the random bands that we just "like." But you get what I'm saying.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:56 PM
InFurs

Quote:
I actually get that a lot (teen girl myself!) I listen to classic and hard rock, mostly. No, I haven't heard of schlomo. It just seems to make sense to me that we must be similar on a deeper level to certain bands, at least the ones that we inexplicably like or feel very close to. Not so much the random bands that we just "like." But you get what I'm saying.

Awesome! A fellow teen girl who likes classic and hard rock. Faith in humanity = restored!
Old 25-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFurs
Awesome! A fellow teen girl who likes classic and hard rock. Faith in humanity = restored!

Haha I'm glad to see I'm not alone... I don't know too many people who have the same taste in music as I do - or anything else, for that matter!
Old 25-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Master
Quote:

yes it does seem like the paticular artsit that you have listended to is on the same level as yourself. yeah they are bands that i lke but than its always those cetain songs that have a hold on you.