Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 26-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Lulu

Mr. Squirrel

I'm a big nut eater - Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Walnuts - I eat them all in bulk. One day I decided to share an almond with a beautiful grey squirrel in my yard. If anything, I thought it would keep him out of the bird feeder for a few milliseconds. Well, the almond was a hit, and soon the word got out that my house had 'the good stuff' and squirrels from all over the neighbourhood converged at my house for their nut fix. I had no problem with this... I started buying extra nuts just for my new friends and left them under the apple tree in my yard.

Sadly, today, while I was on my way home, I noticed that a beautiful grey squirrel had met his end in the middle of the road, several houses down from mine. I'm almost certain it is Mr. Squirrel, my first squirrel friend. I am so sad. What if he was on his way to my house for some nuts? I interfered with nature and I might have been the (indirect) cause of my squirrel friend's demise.

I feel so guilty
Old 27-06-2012, 01:06 AM
iolite

Lulu...

Don't feel guilty. I think squirrels are either ADD or adrenaline junkies. The squirrels in my neighborhood play chicken with me.
Old 27-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Sybilline

Awww we don't have any squirrels in my land. My bf told me they are pretty nasty. I want one!
Old 27-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu
I'm a big nut eater - Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Walnuts - I eat them all in bulk. One day I decided to share an almond with a beautiful grey squirrel in my yard. If anything, I thought it would keep him out of the bird feeder for a few milliseconds. Well, the almond was a hit, and soon the word got out that my house had 'the good stuff' and squirrels from all over the neighbourhood converged at my house for their nut fix. I had no problem with this... I started buying extra nuts just for my new friends and left them under the apple tree in my yard.

Sadly, today, while I was on my way home, I noticed that a beautiful grey squirrel had met his end in the middle of the road, several houses down from mine. I'm almost certain it is Mr. Squirrel, my first squirrel friend. I am so sad. What if he was on his way to my house for some nuts? I interfered with nature and I might have been the (indirect) cause of my squirrel friend's demise.

I feel so guilty

It must have been the squirrel's 'time'.

At least it had felt, and learnt from, the milk of human kindness

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 27-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Lulu

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to post a reply. I felt a bit silly posting this thread, but I am an animal lover, a massive one... that includes all animals, from big to small... even ones that a lot of people regard as 'pests,' like squirrels. My street is full of extremely mature trees that hang over the road on both sides, so the squirrels usually cross the street this way, from 'above...' so it's pretty rare to see one that has been hit by a car... which is why I was probably so shocked to see Mr. Squirrel had met his end that way.

I hope he's in almond heaven now... stuffing his face with an endless supply of his favourite nut :)
Old 27-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Lulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybilline
Awww we don't have any squirrels in my land. My bf told me they are pretty nasty. I want one!

Haha I know a few people that have 'adopted' wild squirrels... but it is more like the squirrels have adopted them. Sometimes the squirrels at my house will come right up to the door and look in the house (almost like they're looking for us) and we have been tempted to feed them by hand, but we stopped getting too close to them... I know it might sound cynical of me, but I don't want them getting too comfortable around humans (and being so close to them). I know that I would never do anything to harm them, but there are people out there that would, and a squirrel wouldn't know the difference until it was too late.
Old 27-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Master

I wouldn't say that squirrels are "nasty". Most of the squirrels I've come into contact with have been very friendly and all of them have been great characters.
A much misunderstood and persecuted animal.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 27-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybilline

Hahaha, you crazy gal.

Squirrels are cute, my brother convinced one to become a pal and would climb up on his shoulder and he could walk around for a while with him like that. They have nice big front teeth, so if they want they can surely do some damage if you catch 'em in a bad mood. I accidentally ran over a young one, and it made me very sad. It couldn't be helped, though. Don't feel bad, Lulu. It happens sometimes.

Old 27-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Lulu

Thanks, Silvergirl :) It just makes me so sad to see animals die that way... Every time I see one in the road, I can't help but wonder if they died instantly, or if they died slowly... if they were in pain, if they were afraid, if they wondered why no one was helping them, and so on. I think that I, like a lot of animal lovers, tend to anthropomorphize them - Whether I'm right or wrong for doing this, I can't help but do it.

It's just such a horrible way to die :(

Mr. Squirrel didn't come come visit today, so now I'm certain it was him. Poor little guy.