Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 26-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Knower

Do many men attend yoga classes?

I want to start learning yoga and from what I read it is far better to be taught in a class rather than try and learn it from a dvd etc.
Do many men attend these classes?
I don't want to seem like a weirdo or there just to hit on women
Old 26-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Mayflow

It probably varies, but I took classes through a local high school's community education program. At two different high schools, and the classes were very mixed between men and women and of a wide variety of shapes and ages. Very fun and enjoyable and relaxing. I might mention it was super cheap as well.

Where you live may not offer that. That time I lived around Minnetonka Minnesota and the library and school systems there make where I live now in Texas seem barbaric and antiquated.
Old 26-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Sleepygrass

Not at all.

The women often finds it comfortable with men that seems to be serious in their practice. My experience of doing yoga in different kind of studios and classes is there's on average 85% women attending and sometimes I have been the only man doing postures in the room.

I've done the DVD approach home alone and but found in time that in order to expand my knowledge of doing the postures 100% correct and bring it more into a lifestyle and communion, a studio became way more prefered. Lest to say that the computer choice of yoga is great when there's lack of time and mony.

Cheers! :-)
Old 27-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Knower

Thanks to both of you

I will start looking for somewhere
Old 27-12-2011, 12:14 PM
mattie

Go For It

While in a department store in Dallas last week I overheard a guy who looked to be in his mid-30s or so enthusiastically telling someone else how he had physically benefitted from yoga. Don’t worry one bit about being perceived as just being there to hit on women or whether you might be the only male in the class.

You could use both a DVD & classes. A class would likely give you the benefit of an instructor or classmates who could help you w/ technique. A DVD might be useful when you wanted to practice at other times than the class.

Old 27-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator
I used to go to yoga there were only women in that, but they opened a different day up just for men it was very popular. my kids go to yoga now and there are 2 men in their class.

Namaste
Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM
SFRM

Men seem to be in the minority in classes. It really depends on you. I am one of the very few men in my class, but I make a point of talking to many of my classmates regardless of age. In other words, I make sure that it doesn't seem like I'm just talking to the young, pretty classmates. I liked the comment from sleepygrass. It really does help if it seems you are serious in your practice.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Sundialed

Hey buddy I am a guy and I do lots of yoga! The ladies don't care. They kicked my butt at power yoga and and one time one said, you still complaining about that! No worries buddy, why you all up in the fear? quite limiting... go!!

One time I came out of the hot room and just as I did a lady said do guys come to this class much? as she was in her underwear and bra, and I said yep! and don't worry I take my shirt off after class I'll hit you back, just jokes, but sa'll good man get out there.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Guide
In my yoga class there is only one boy, but he is well integrated in our group... I see no problem in men attending yoga classes.

If you are really serious about starting yoga, the higher procentage of women in class shouldn't bother you.
helpless against my immortality."

From "Savitri" by Sri Aurobindo
(The Book of Fate)
Old 13-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Seeker
I used to attend to yoga classes and usually there were more women. Let's say 70%. But that shouldn't stop you!
There is one weird thing - sometimes when there were too many women the whole place was overwhelmed by female energy- it is strange feeling for a man- but it is useful experience!