Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 22-05-2012, 06:40 PM
coolchic101

I think that it is useless for people trying to debate on which belief is right. Everyone has their own belief systems. It is up to the individual whether or not they want to EXPAND their beliefs.
For example, I am spiritual (no religion) but my mom is religious. She watches religious shows and goes to church almost everyday. She will bring up religion from time to time and debate against me why I don't teach about christian figures like Jesus to my son. She will go on and on why she believes her religion is the right way and that I should go to church. I often have to stop the argument by walking away. It can be a full time job trying to convert others to think like you. When I was growing up, I went to sunday school, went to church, said my prayers in accordance to the religious prayers, because that is how my mom taught me and that is all I knew at that time. Now that I am grown, I have a mind of my own and I am spiritual (I still pray and ask for guidance and protection from the higher source) and my mom can not accept that about me.
Old 22-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Henri77

My beliefs-understandings are constantly changing-evolving.

So I don't worry too much about defending them, and would rather not, as they're bound to be somewhat different in a year.
And are likely partly incorrect. Certainly incomplete.

I recognize beliefs are based partly on internally perceived truth, and as such, are not always verifiable to others.

Who can say what another perceives, so we should tread lightly when criticizing another, even well meaning criticism.

Children especially are very vulnerable when their spiritual perception-understanding exceeds that of parents,peers.

And they may be able to teach US something, if we really listen without judgement.
Old 23-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Rhodes

I feel as do most posters here (I only read up to page 5 of 10); I have been approached harshly about my beliefs on more than one occasion so I understand many people's reluctance to answer questions about their religious beliefs. I have no problem with someone asking me what religion I subscribe to but I have issue with those bent on creating an argument over the details or choose to stereotype someone based on rumors about a religion. A good example is LDS (Mormons) believing in plural marriages which were abolished back in the late 1800's or Pagans/Wiccans/Witches riding broomsticks eating our kids. I have found the pack mentality when it comes to handling some religions over others. Some think it's perfectly within their right to demean, degrade and bully others to their way of thinking in the name of their God. Osama Bin Laden is a prime example of a rogue religious zealot as was Adolf Hitler in sterilizing the world of the perception of evil based on a religious or ethnic affiliation. OK, that's like saying, you need to do as I do to fit in. I don't think so. I think people do what makes them feel good and correct within themselves and do not need a mainstream religion with all it's rules and regulations to determine if it's correct or not. People used to sacrifice kids and virgins on the alter under the belief it pleased the gods or Creator. We have evolved (hopefully) an understanding this is illegal if not unethical and shouldn't be done. IF our beliefs coincide with a religion, great. If not, then it should never be a point of contention just because someone else doesn't believe it. That's what makes us all human having free-will or freedoms; the right to do and live the way we please as long as it doesn't intrude on the rights of others no matter what they believe. I think what we do and how we act has a domino effect no matter what religion we affiliate ourselves with. People forget that crucial point, it's one thing to believe the way you do and act on it, it's quite another if that belief harms someone else whether physically, emotionally or mentally.