Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Ambermay

Could you explain what these spiritual words mean to you please?

When I hear some of these words - I put together what people say about them.
What is said by dictionaries - that is too general and doesn't really apply to what many understand when speaking these words.

The reason I would like to hear what you say is because when I use these words - I apply my own understanding, and perhaps my use of them is incorrect.

I'd love to know what do you think of these words.
And that (below) is what I got so far from books and people (not my beliefs):

God.
This is a real being (without physical body), but He is male, an individual who lives in very very high place in havens.
This is the man who created everything single-handed and he controls the universe, answers prayers and judges people when they die. He is just and loving to all he created. He created humans in His image and some people think that He should look more like Jesus Christ, but older.

Faith.
This is something that we should believe without question.
Is this equal to 'belief'?
It is a very spiritual feeling and is inside everyone of us. It is something we know from inside and if we have this ability of faith - it suppose to please God.

Prayer.
This is the way we give thanks to God and ask Him for things to be done for us or others. We suppose to stand on our knees as a preference. (Why is this preferred?)

I try to avoid to use these three words, because of fear of being misunderstood. But sometimes it happens that I use them.

I think these words are enough for now.
Please don't think that I'm silly with these questions.
Even though I have my set of beliefs - I sometimes use these words and I always wonder if I'm incorrect in using them the way I do.
And here I go again. (By 'beliefs' I mean certain things that I know for myself are true and facts, but I can not prove them by physical means.) Would that be right to use the word 'belief' in this way?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Shabby

Everyone uses words different and it is good to know what the other one means when we communicate.

To me:
God is spirit and the absolute. It is formless, timeless, stead, still and silent....also known as the void or nothing. It is the within and without. No states of being therefore non being

Faith is belief plus action, meaning you believe something and you act upon that belief. Action could be anything from brushing your teeth to meditating. It is simply to do something in hopes of a specific outcome.

Prayer is the act of talking to a higher entity/Self/God apart from ones own being. It can be in the form of asking or pleading or giving thanks or simply talking as a form of sharing thoughts.

If you don't mind I would like to add two more words that have very often different meanings for different people.

To me:
Consciousness is the realm of all possibilities. This realm includes everything that I am conscious of and unconscious of. Is is time, space and movement, learning, growing and evolving. It is pure beingness and it is refereed to Self and it is experienced as a state of bliss.

Meditation is a tool one may use to help gain control over the mind, clear the mind and go beyond mind.

Last edited by Shabby : 02-03-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Ambermay

Welcome to ADD MORE WORDS which speak to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby
Everyone uses words different and it is good to know what the other one means when we communicate.

To me:
God is spirit and the absolute. It is formless, timeless, stead, still and silent....also known as the void or nothing. It is the within and without. No states of being therefore non being

Faith is belief plus action, meaning you believe something and you act upon that belief. Action could be anything from brushing your teeth to meditating. It is simply to do something in hopes of a specific outcome.

Prayer is the act of talking to a higher entity/Self/God apart from ones own being. It can be in the form of asking or pleading or giving thanks or simply talking as a form of sharing thoughts.

If you don't mind I would like to add two more words that have very often different meanings for different people.

To me:
Consciousness is the realm of all possibilities. This realm includes everything that I am conscious of and unconscious of. Is is time, space and movement, learning, growing and evolving. It is pure beingness and it is refereed to Self and it is experienced as a state of bliss.

Meditation is a tool one may use to help gain control over the mind, clear the mind and go beyond mind.

Thank you Shabby,
Your description of 'God' is very close to mine. And if I can use this word for communications - this is great.

Certainly - I would love any of you to add words and explain what they mean to you.

Form what you said Shabby about Consciousness - in my own understanding this is very close to 'God'.
And 'Meditation', even though it is a tool and I agree with this - comes close to a 'prayer' for me.

As for 'faith' - I'm still unclear if I can use this word at all.
I like your description in relation to this, but would most people understand if I used this?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermay
Thank you Shabby,
Your description of 'God' is very close to mine. And if I can use this word for communications - this is great.

Certainly - I would love any of you to add words and explain what they mean to you.

Form what you said Shabby about Consciousness - in my own understanding this is very close to 'God'.
And 'Meditation', even though it is a tool and I agree with this - comes close to a 'prayer' for me.

As for 'faith' - I'm still unclear if I can use this word at all.
I like your description in relation to this, but would most people understand if I used this?

Well, I think people get the meaning when you use faith in a sentence.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Enya

When seeking a truthful use of words, first look within your own heart/soul and ask yourself for *your* meaing. You can use any word you wish, as long as you're clear about what it means to you and your experience.

To me, God means Lifeforce, Source, Creative Power.

To me, faith means deep, strong belief without need of outward proof.

To me, prayer means a dialogue with the Divine.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Rin

If you are using words in a sense which is significantly different from dictionary definitions you are bound to be misunderstood.

The meaning of communication is not at all in what you say but lies entirely and exclusively in the meaning the listener or reader attributes to it.

It doesn't matter how you feel about the definitions, they are the common understanding and if one wants to be understood one better sticks to it or has to go to great lengths to clarify its different use.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Ambermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin
If you are using words in a sense which is significantly different from dictionary definitions you are bound to be misunderstood.

The meaning of communication is not at all in what you say but lies entirely and exclusively in the meaning the listener or reader attributes to it.

It doesn't matter how you feel about the definitions, they are the common understanding and if one wants to be understood one better sticks to it or has to go to great lengths to clarify its different use.

Well, I guess that's that then.
I should be more careful when I say that I believe in God, whilst I see that word entirely different...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
When seeking a truthful use of words, first look within your own heart/soul and ask yourself for *your* meaing. You can use any word you wish, as long as you're clear about what it means to you and your experience.

To me, God means Lifeforce, Source, Creative Power.

To me, faith means deep, strong belief without need of outward proof.

To me, prayer means a dialogue with the Divine.

I think this is the most difficult- if you have ever been betrayed to have faith is impossible without proof or validation.

Just my humble opinion.. can anyone really have complete faith in something without a grain of doubt or apprehension.. is it safe/wise to do that?

The only example I can think of are people brainwashed in religious cults that trust blindly and do not doubt.
Even feverent church goers will question God when someone young has been killed or murdered.
Bishops even the Pope questions society when there are sex abuse cases etc.

I am a person who questions everything BTW so for me I need logic and understanding before I can contemplate acceptance.
I do believe that the Spirit world knows and has knowledge and answers I seek,but they opt not to for their own reasons- not for me to know/not the right time/my lesson to learn.. they give bits to 'prove' but not enough for me to have complete 'faith'/trust in them.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Ambermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by froebellian
I think this is the most difficult- if you have ever been betrayed to have faith is impossible without proof or validation.

Just my humble opinion.. can anyone really have complete faith in something without a grain of doubt or apprehension.. is it safe/wise to do that?

The only example I can think of are people brainwashed in religious cults that trust blindly and do not doubt.
Even feverent church goers will question God when someone young has been killed or murdered.
Bishops even the Pope questions society when there are sex abuse cases etc.

I am a person who questions everything BTW so for me I need logic and understanding before I can contemplate acceptance.
I do believe that the Spirit world knows and has knowledge and answers I seek,but they opt not to for their own reasons- not for me to know/not the right time/my lesson to learn.. they give bits to 'prove' but not enough for me to have complete 'faith'/trust in them.

Your reply is so very interesting....
I don't know what others think, but YES, I have been betrayed before...
Hence - my question...