View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Elfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heightend-Awareness
Don't be sorry Elfin. I asked for it in my soul contract, and to be apart of my awakening (the stroke). Both were very challenging to overcome. More so the stroke. As it affected my speech, r/h leg and r/h arm. Walking came back first. Took about 4 weeks. I was determined to walk to the hospital bathroom to go tinkle. 1st box ticked. Speach came back next. Slurred and frustrating. Knowing what you want to say but to find it difficult to get it out. Took 6mths to talk coherently. Arm and hand took the longest. I began to write and sign my signature with my left hand. Always was ambidextrous, but not writing, new trick. Working in the timber yard helped with my own literal occupational therapy. Took 5 years to get my arm and hand to work again. Just by placing my hand on all different section sizes of timber to grab until the new neural pathways were built and strength and continuity returned. Had to jump through hoops to get my driver's licence again. Blitzed the cognitive and memory tests. It wasn't a requirement, but my assessor was impressed that I noted even the slide numbers the questions were on and the number plates of cars on them too. I am about 99.98% recovered.
With my leg, lost it because I thought it was a muscle-related injury from karate sparring. I got kicked really hard. Which caused a massive clot 20cm long to be precise in my calf muscle. When I did seek medical advice it was too late. An attempt at bypass surgery failed. 2 weeks later a day before my 45th B'day off it came from the knee down. My mate rang me for my birthday and asked what's going on? I replied, "just getting legless". A bit of an adjustment but I ok with it now. Many say how well I've coped with these two issues. I just smile and wave. In a way, I'm glad they happened in my life when they did. I've achieved all my physical challenges (karate/military)in my life. I think it's the universe's way of telling me to slow down. I now work my mind and spirit, and a little on the body.
...Such a lovely story..( if you can call it lovely)...But it is , because you overcame these two separate issues with such positivity.... And it is heartwarming to hear that you are just about fully recovered... I Love the fact that you could joke about getting legless to your friend.... That shows a little of your character, and the kind of attitude I would have adopted. I know full well you are a family man... And both of your illnesses would have also been very challenging for your family too. It can't have been easy for them. I believe you are correct when you say your physical challenges had been accomplished , and your spiritual journey is a focus now.... You can be proud of everything you achieved on a physical level.. and as of being on a spiritual level you have / and will have, so much to offer/ teach / share. I believe that not one single part of your "being here" was wasted... Legless or not... You are still very much "whole"...