Thread: Tai Chi DVD?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 11:05 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starjumper7
When I was referring to learning tai chi I was not including the self defense aspect. Of course, for that you need a teacher.

I was referring to learning to do the form correctly. It is too easy to develop bad habits and without a teacher they don't get corrected. In any case doing tai chi poorly makes it even more like chi kung, but doing it well makes it a better chi kung.

My suggestion for you, if you want to learn it without a teacher, is to use a full length mirror. Watch the details of the video like a hawk, and watch yourself in the mirror in the same way, and be honest. I've seen a lot of people who are quite lazy at imitation of movement, which is a big insult to the teacher. Try to do an exact imitation as well as possible. Trying to do an exact imitation is the mark of master material.

it's no big deal to me I just do the forms daily on top of a lot of other stuff -- I don't worry about it - I just try to improve flexibility and such - maybe stand in some basic stances if I feel like it - I have a big schedule - tai chi is just a small part of it --- I don't care what the teacher thinks - he's not even around -- just doing it on the health side - I don't care about fighting -

I change the forms and do them incorrectly -- I can't start and end in the same spot because I do the forms inside the house and I have to make adjustments to the forms as I run out of space --- I add more chi kung to them and take away from the tai chi moves -- I just make it my own -- I don't want to be a cult follower of anyone else -