View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 09:31 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
Thank you so much for your kind words. I do so appreciate it.

I think ignoring the trolls was once a good option, but I now feel we're at a point where ignoring is no longer an option. This place was Matt and Lynn's dream. It was meant to be our happy place, our refuge, and beautiful sanctuary.

In the past, I have been afraid to express my spiritual beliefs on this site out of fear of being ridiculed, and I've watched people I care about quietly fade away because they no longer felt welcomed in the place that was intended for them.

I think it's awful the way some people come here to shame and demean others in their own spaces. I feel like we are being treated like a battered spouse who puts up with abuse because we want so much to be kind and standing up to abuse feels unkind.

I feel we have to not only call these people out, but slam the door in their face. Even if we can not get them outright banned we can make them feel completely unwelcome.

I don't disagree with you. There is a difference between honest and respectful inquiry and trolling - which to me, includes insincere inquiry / stirring the pot / disinterest in learning and only intending to cause disruption.

It can be hard for moderators to weed out which is which, and often discussions are subtle.

I do not envy our staff here.

That said, I've always felt that a lot of the discussions have gone away because so many people use the report option. There is a need here to talk "respectfully", but like the people who come on here and challenge veganism and extol the virtues of eating meat, so long as they talk 'calmly' with their logic voice, they fly under the radar.

I have seen people here manipulate the moderation here by crying foul even though they use techniques to stir and test.

These are psychological techniques, I think Shivani Devi once called it gaslighting.

And those who speak up are often warned, canned or deleted. Conversations stopped. Then the subtle messengers remain. Who enjoys that? I can see why so many people have left. I can't thank the moderators enough for the hard work they do and it's a voluntary job - so how do they manage? What do we do?

Yes, perhaps it is up to us, but that poses the new issue of it becomes an argument and maybe the moderators will step in.

I don't know what the answer is, but yes, I see what you are saying, and I don't disagree. We can make this a lighter place perhaps - I know each of us is responsible, including me.

I felt the same way in the Buddhist forum where people who clearly had no idea of what it is, or were even interested in genuinely learning, come and make a mockery of it.

I think these people have issues, but as in all things, it affects others.

Anyway, whatever you do, I'm in agreement with you and Ciona on this one.

I agree that if someone wants to extol meat eating that they should go to another section of the forum.

One individual is the same person anyway. They should probably post on a separate Reddit stream anyway since it's just their way or the highway that they really want - and their agenda is conversion to their singular way of thinking, confirming only that which conforms to their individual mindset.

JL