View Single Post
Old 09-05-2024, 08:13 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Nah, he wouldn't. Results have to be there quickly. Having said that, I don't think Ten Hag is a fit.

Not really, no. But then, which recent Man Utd manager has been? They have had several since Ferguson left, and only really Mourinho has got a tune out of them, finishing 2nd and winning two trophies. (But with him, you know he will fall out with someone and then leave after 3 seasons).

What it shows is how good Ferguson was, and how difficult he has been to replace, even with elite managers.

I think there is also something wrong with the club and the way it has been run. Although the Glazers were successful in their early years, in recent seasons, there doesn’t seem to be a kind of overarching vision for the club to follow. I don’t mean this as waffling management-speak either. Clubs like Liverpool, Man City and the Man Utd of old had a particular way they wanted to play, and recruited players according to that. They were laser-like in identifying players of a ‘profile’ they wanted, buying them in, and then coaching them in that way.

Although Liverpool and Man City have had money to spend (which successful team doesn’t?) they have bought really well. Not just superstars like Haaland, but lesser-known players like Ake, Wijnaldum, Robertson, who can make the step up.

I don’t think Man Utd have been laser-like in the last decade; their recruitment has been poor. But maybe the new owners could be thinking along more ‘visionary’ lines. They have been getting the good back-room staff in, so they seem to be building up slowly. It will take a while for them to get there, but they will.