View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Seeker

Opinions on Jnana Yoga, please!

I am a white american raised Catholic and live in the midwest of the United States. Consequently I have no background or traditions with hinduism.

However my favourite parts of hinduism are advaita vedanta, jnana yoga and my most revered diety/personage is Satya Sai Baba (probably because of my interest in the paranormal and that he was the first figure I studied in depth; I visited his Ashram in India too.)

My personal inclinations and personality type attract me to Jnana Yoga. How do you guys think people should practice Jnana Yoga? Do they continually remind themselves through their waking hours of what is real/unreal? Do they repeat mantras/affirmations to themselves? I would think meditation would benefit that process too. What type of meditation would be best for a Jnana Yogi.

Is it arrogant to call yourself a yogi before you reach a certain point of self-realization? How would you know without a human guru working with you?

I've heard from multiple sources that in this Kali Yuga that Bahkti Yoga is the surest ane easiest way to go for liberation. So, why should people use other (harder) paths?

Sometimes I think I'm a Jnana Yogi and some times I think I'm a fraud and not doing the more effort intensive sadhana techniques I hear others do.

Anyway, I want to solicit thoughts from my learned hindu friends on the subject of Jnana Yoga. (as I write this I think I'm answering my own questions).