View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 02:29 AM
Master

Where are your recipes Tobi LOL?

Here are a few recipes that I cook sometimes for my son. Simple, basic, easy peasy.

Vegetable Soup (can't go wrong there!) I may have stolen this from Rachel Ray - I can't remember we've been using it so long

Any vegees you like - this can be end of the week soup when the vegees are needing to be eaten soon or thrown away - you can call it the kitchen sink soup (an American Phrase for everything but the Kitchen sink LOL)

I start with cutting the vegges:

Carrots - for a small soup, you could use 2 large, for a larger soup use 4ish. Cut them however you like to eat them in soup - if you have small children, make sure they are fairly small.

I do the Rachel Ray 2 turns of the olive oil in a stock pot and heat the oil and dump in the carrots on medium high while I chop the other vegees.

I add the vegges in layers, so they are all done at the same time. If you are adding cauliflower or celery or onions, I would put that with the carrots. So the root vegetables go first. Stir them occassionally so they don't burn, turn them down if they start to burn.

About 5 minutes in I scrape the vegges to create a hole and dump in some minced garlic - as much as you like - I used the bottled version because it is so much easier! We like a lot of garlic.

I time the carrots et al, for 7 minutes, then start adding the other vegges I've chopped - I like to add brocolli and zucchini. I let that cook for a few minutes, then I add some Vegetable Broth. If you like a lot of broth and have a lot of people to feed or like leftovers (this soup does leftovers very well the next day) you might want to add more broth. I usually use 1 carton of broth, and sometimes another half if I used a lot of vegges.

Then I like to add a can or two of beans. Dealers choice. I like white beans, or garbanzo's. Drain and rinse them, then dump those in at the same time as you add the broth.

This will lower the temperature of what you are cooking, but keep it on medium high heat and once it starts to boil, all the vegees should be about done. If not, keep checking. You can cook them as soft or as al dente as you like. You can also add pasta, but i would caution that the pasta will soak up the broth. It tastes delish, but if you like brothy soup, you might not want to add it while the soup is cooking. You could cook it alone, and add it to the bowls as you serve, that way you get both.

Another dish I cook him is rice and vegees. I put on a pot of rice (using a rice cooker - love it) and then I get to chopping. The other night we had carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, and brussel sprouts. Using the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, I started cooking the carrots first (on medium high) and then added the cauliflower while I was preparing the brussel sprouts. By the time they were ready, the carrots and cauliflower were almost burnt (I did stir them occassionally!) and added the rest and added 1/4 cup of water 3 times as needed until they were all done. Then I poured out the leftover water.

I cooked some of a jarred sauce on the side in a small pan (Teriyaki with Garlic and Onion - yum) and served the vegees on the rice with a drizzle of the sauce. Oh yum. The vegees came out very tasty - like they had been roasted in the oven, and you don't have to put sauce on them - they were wonderful by themselves.