View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It isn't necessarily an ''obstacle''. One can have an interest in science and also do spiritual practice daily. When we sit down and calm our mind, and achieve non-thought we aren't having any 'intellect' getting in the way of things.

Just because people don't preach the standard beliefs that surround mysticism does not mean they cannot or do not achieve beyond-mind state of being or don't do any spiritual practice for years that have improved them. It would be rather arrogant and morally self-defeating to assume those labelled as ''intellectual'' or ''materialistic'' can't 'do' spirituality.

Some harp on about it all the time, obsessed with people they brand ''intellectuals''. I would argue that it would be more fruitful to have an open mind to alternative explanations to spirituality and spiritual phenomena. Yes, read those old texts, do the practice(s), but also have an interest in science.

For me personally, the intellect was initially an obstacle. In any case, however, I still investigated science and psychology in addition to my meditations in order to make sure that my paradigm of the Reality was consistent with all (as best as possible).

I agree completely with you that it is "fruitful to have an open mind to alternative explanations to spirituality and spiritual phenomenon. Yes, read those old texts, do the practice(s), but also have an interest in science." YES! That is precisely what I do with the current emphasis being the practice(s) but not to the exclusion of all other research. One learns from all.