View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 01:43 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Dreams
I didn't realize there were so many versions, but I guess I should have expected that given there's so many English versions of the Bible. Which version would you recommend and why? Thanks!!
Good question. Given that the first verse more or less warns you that the Tao that can be written, spoken, thought, is not the true Tao, about the only thing we know is no matter who translates it or doesn't translate it at all, it is going to be wrong......well at least as far as describing the Tao. Yet people will still try to argue about which version is the "right one". My advice would be to be a Tao Te Ching surfer. If one interpenetration doesn't suit you try a few others, see if you pick up a common thread. It is about the best one can hope for in terms of trying to understand the Tao through written words. I found most verses sounded (some still do) like jibberish, but they do grow on you and eventually, the meanings seem to come though, but of course as the Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao, I could not tell you what they mean, even to me. I have had some people become quite indignant about their interpretation being the right one. All I could say is, "That is not how I understand it."