Thread: spiders
View Single Post
Old 14-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Wow Volaju. I learned more about spiders from your post than anywhere else.

I did see the spider build her web and was interesting to see how she did it. I thought spiders made the straight strands first and then the 'circular' strands last. What really happened was that she took turns with both. I think she made the circular part to turn around to spin a straight line. It sure didn't take her long to make it.

Oh boy, yeah they can make their webs deceptively fast. Some of them go off to hunt as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volaju
I actually field-study and research spiders as an insectologist

what is your favourite bug?

Yey for Arachnids!

Quote:
I believe those are Banana Spiders aka orb spiders Clover. I get them in our chicken coop, always fun to walk into. I live in Black Widow and Brown Recluse country, so shaking shoes and clothing out in the garage is a necessary function. For whatever reason the spiders this year have taken over in the garage. Volaju might find a new species in there if he looked around.

I wish i could discover a new species of spider, I'd name it after myself of course. *triumphant pose*

Clover, do you have any other pictures of them? Any other angles, I like to get a full 3D view size comparison before I am any guesses.