View Single Post
Old 23-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Master
We have feeders out all year in the garden ....... me and the missus are both members of the RSPB (Royal Society For The Protection Of Birds) and we feed any birds that come irrespective of species.

Our Bird populations in general are in decline ...... some seriously so ...... a lot of the main causes of this are modern farming practices.

Loss of hedgerows, over intensive crop planting ..... i.e. as soon as a crop is harvested another is planted, so the birds that would feed on the harvested field into winter have no food supply, particularly seed feeders such as finches.

We don't mind pigeons feeding in our garden ...... calling them pests or vermin is a bit harsh ....... they are just wild animals trying to survive, like any other. Why should we feed other species but not pigeons ?

We never get too many, as we also get Sparrowhawks from time to time "taking" them for food (they nest in the woods near us)

If we get rid of pigeons, then this has a knock on effect elsewhere ....... the Hawks will find food scarcer and their chicks may not survive (if they decide to try rearing any at all)

I reckon we will just keep the feeders full .........

Simon.