View Single Post
Old 21-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
I'm told a lot, do whatever so that you'll get the benefits of it.

So now I get to ask in turn, why do I HAVE TO HAVE the benefits AT ALL COSTS? Why am I not allowed to fail to enjoy the beauty of the full moon, the sunset, and flowers? So that I can be free as well of this need to 'HAVE TO' switch it off when I don't want to?

Thoughtless awareness is the natural state of man, and this self-generates peace and bliss off itself.

This is obscured by the habitual thinking and emoting process that most of us have, not being able to switch off the thinking process, and which generates misery in the long run due to desires, consequent thoughts and emotions which conflict with each other and reality.

As Vicki Woodyard stated, " Awareness is who we are and forgetting that leads to suffering. "

Switching off the thinking process is an individual choice like dieting or exercising and there is freedom of will. It is certainly more healthier , but if anyone does not want to switch it off, it is definitely their choice and free will and ought to be respected.

Just as pain indicates that something is wrong or unhealthy in the human body which needs attention like chest pains or knee pains, similarly psychological pain or suffering indicates that the mind is in an unhealthy state and proper attention given to it will eventually make one take on healthier choices.

As Sri Sri Ravi Shankar stated, " Purpose of suffering is to connect you to your Self (Awareness). It indicates that you got carried away by all the transient things around you."

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon