View Single Post
Old 17-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Experiencer

Scientific proof is a very sticky business. You are not going to find anything spiritual which is measurable with physical equipment, because you are not dealing with physical phenomena. Where spirituality is concerned you must search for your own personal proof (that is, things which you personally see, feel, or intuit). I did not believe in spirits until I began having experiences with them, and now I speak to them all the time! You really just have to explore - try some of the exercises suggested in the threads here, or try some meditation and energy work - and come to your own conclusions based upon what you experience.

It is worth pointing out that trust in science alone is, of itself, a belief system. It is based upon an assumption that nothing exists outside of the physical world which is measurable by our standard five senses, and a belief in the infalliability of current scientific knowledge (look at the number of times our scientific discoveries have caused us to correct ourselves, and this becomes an assumption based on faith). There is widespread belief in spirituality and psychic phenomena because so many people have had personal experiences with it which science has yet to explain.

I do not believe science and spirituality are incompatible. I think they are the yin and yang aspects of a whole and we need a deep understanding of both in order to comprehend existence. People see them as opposites because in our exploration of them we have yet to discover the border that joins them together, but pick up a book about quantum physics and you begin to get a feel for how they might meet. Eventually our intrepid scientific explorers will alight on the shore of an exciting new land only to find all the shamans, yogis and spiritual teachers there, saying, "Hello! We've been waiting for you."