View Single Post
Old 23-12-2020, 01:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I had planned on hopping Amtrak from Albany this past summer and catching him live, however COVID dashed that plan. I see you're in Brooklyn. I grew up in Far Rockaway.

And yes, he's an excellent speaker and his knowledge of the subject matter is par excellence. I do love his sense of humor too. I consider him my teacher however I also watch the videos on the Arsha Bodha Center YT channel presented by Swami Tadatmananda. He's currently doing a weekly series on Atma Bodha of Shankaracharya and it's very good.

Here's the latest: https://youtu.be/OC_kan_RQ04

Actually, Swami Sarvapriyana was taking courses at Harvard prior to the pandemic so he wasn't in NYC as often while he was taking courses. I am not sure where he is now, but we had substitute teachers for a while.

You are correct that I am in Brooklyn. If you should visit the Vedanta Society once it opens again after the pandemic, send me a private message as I would be very receptive to meeting you at the Vedanta Society. Incidentally, I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years and they used to have great vegetarian meals after the service when the center was open.

P.S. I also attended a few of Sarvapriyananda's lectures on Gaudapada's Katrika on the Mandukya Upanishad. It has been stated that Shankaracharya explicitly said that, if a person was to read one and only one Upanishad, it should be the very short Mandukya Upanishad. That is one of my favorites as it led me to the conscious sleep practice whereby one can really "Know Yourself" by remaining aware during the three states of man (deep sleep, dream formation, the so-called waking state which is not really "awake" for most) and the transitions between the three states. The fourth state, Turiya, thus becomes clearer.