View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 06:10 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayar415
Without scripture, there would be nothing to think about. Why don't we grapple with those issues instead of looking for a way out?

The philosophical questions that led to scripture have been around as long as we have. They just come naturally when you have an awareness and experience. The first living thing that looked up at the stars and thought, "what is this all about?" the first time one being saw another one die... "what is that? where did he go? why? am I this body? do I go on after I die?"

One does not need books or scripture or a organized belief system or a religion to have something to think about, to ponder, to contemplate.

Who am I? What am I? Why do I exist? What is my purpose? These questions are inherent to the human experience.

The issues we have do lead to more awareness of them. More attention on them. More pondering on how to deal with them and relate to them. What to do or not do about them. A "problem" leads to a search for a solution.

Imagine a marriage that has become full of fighting. One wants to be free of the constant conflict. One wants a way out of a conflict filled life. How does one find a way out? One may leave, get divorced, find a new partner. One may instead go to counseling, work out the issues, change and remain married.

Everyone is looking for happiness and pleasure. We just get more refined in how we look for it. Is the solution what we have or what we want? Is the solution neither? In things like Taoism the answer is letting what is be. Be like grass in the wind, moving with it, or a leaf in a river. Let it flow, move change, move with it without resistance, don't grasp. Be one with whatever is.

Be present, but not present as something or somebody, just aware of whatever is.