View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 09:06 PM
Master
QUOTE 63 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeta
Yes there are parallels between Chakras and Sefirots, have you read the Bhagvad Gita AND the Zohar?
Yukteshwar Giri was a well known scholar of the Bhagvad Gita and that's why this thread is a treat for me to read
The teachings in the Bhagavad Gita are among the best published teachings for the masses. There is indeed a lot of depth there. What I particularly like about the Gita is that it acknowledges the fact that practices can vary significantly based on the temperament of the practitioner. Three general approaches are presented: (1) jnana/self-inquiry; (2) bhakti/devotion; and (3) karma yoga --- losing one's self in service to others.

I was fortunate to have accompanied my own spiritual mentor to the Haridwar Kumbha Mela in 1998 where I was able to march in the great procession to the Ganges, accompany my teacher to the bandaras (feasts), and personally meet some of the extraordinary yogis from the caves of the Himalayas. Interactions with such beings .... telepathically in some cases ... can be far more illuminating than any books.

As for the Zohar, I attended a few sessions conducted by various teachers on that subject, but somehow the Zohar never really resonated with me. On the other hand, I have read the writings of some of the eminent Kabbalistic Rabbis and I agree with you that there are a LOT of parallels between esoteric Judaism and Hinduism. Teachers often reveal in private what is rarely even mentioned in public lectures or books, and I have accordingly sought out the extraordinary beings from the various wisdom traditions for that precise reason.

As for Sri Yukteswar, I would have loved to have met him in person especially after reading his short book, "The Holy Science". Even more than being a scholar of the Bhagavad Gita, Yukteswar seems (at least to me) to be one who has gone far beyond what can be communicated in any book.

You seem to have a very diversified background in the wisdom traditions. I am glad to see you contributing to this thread.