View Single Post
Old 20-11-2020, 08:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
sky123,

These are beautiful...thanks for sharing this site. They offer a different perspective that can add to our understanding. Essentially they provide somewhat of an 180 degree view of things from a different viewpoint....like being able to see the 2 sides of a coin. I was struck by this passage from the site:

" in Matthew 13:45-46, Jesus says, “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.” In this scenario, you are the pearl of great value, and Jesus is the buyer; he purchased you at infinite cost to himself, because he values you that much."

The 'infinite cost' reminds us of the crucifixion of Jesus. "For God so loved the world...." etc. Also the parable of searching for the lost sheep and leaving the 99 to search for that one lost individual. It is love that we cannot quite conceive of....not something that most of us would be inclined to do.

Just to demonstrate how scripture can be interpreted differently I will offer a different interpretation of this same scripture. In doing so, I would suggest that we get out of our heads that there is only one correct interpretation of any specific scripture. The beauty of scripture is that it leads one into contemplation that can present new understandings and speak to us both directly and personally.

Another interpretation of this parable about the pearl of great value some understand the pearl as representing eternal truth. The 'merchant' whose livilihood is dealing in pearls can be seen as us. We are the ones who have viewed many 'pearls'(which can be our personal insights and beliefs) but we find ouirselves willing to abandon all that we have previously had in our possession for that one great thing: eternal truth. Paul writing is Phillipians 3:8-10......"for his sake I have suffered loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ...." This is recognition of the pearl of great value. To continue this interpretation one must consider the properties of a pearl: a pearl is spherical(whole) brilliant(divine) hidden in an oyster(veiled) and is found only in the depths of sea(consciousness)

In short there are many different ways to interpret scripture and each way can be a way of opening our minds. At some point we begin to rather than search for others interpretations to attempt to access our Spirit and our own intution to arrive at personal epiphanies.

I'm glad you enjoyed them Mo, they are ' Pearls of Wisdom '
I love your interpretation and agree there is never just ONE interpretation of any Scriptures they are personal to each individual.
I love to read insights from other Cultures, they certainly do open our minds to ' Interbeing '.