View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 12:43 AM
Aditi

One of my favourite things about Vedanta is seeing how the sages engage critical debates of each other's theories. It wouldn't be possible to agree with all of it, we each have to come to our own understanding. And many of them have laid out how we can know the subtler experiences for ourselves. It is such a great privilege to have access to any of this information, it might be the most precious thing in the entire world, and the thought that anyone would want to be given a shortcut past it is baffling to me.

If you have better things to do with your time, that's what you should be doing.

@BigJohn What you said about your step father is sort of like what I meant when I said we can't know enough to know what is for the best. No decent person would ever wish that abuse on anyone, but when you have come out the other side of a hell like that, you have this strength and resilience that others can't imagine, and that you know would never have developed if life had been all roses. There are so many ways life breaks us so we have to grow back stronger, and when you know you can cope, you are less likely to live in fear, which is a different sort of hell.