View Single Post
Old 17-07-2020, 02:37 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Justice's purpose is to protect society. Punishment is relevant only as much as it is a deterrent for criminals and criminal wannabes.

Justice should be swift and fair to minimize anger, fear, hate.

Everybody should be considered innocent until proven guilty. The fact that the justice isn't perfect (who/what is perfect?) isn't a reason not to apply it, while working at improving it.

We often make the mistake to believe that we have all the facts, know the laws, and are able to make the correct judgement (like when watching a movie), and jump to conclusions, sometimes applying street justice. That's wrong and should be punished too.

Again, justice should protect society, and minimize anger, fear, hate.

Things start with great, honorable ideals, but we see how the world tends to make them lose their qualities and turn into something else, since power and greed corrupts. In the tale of Atlantis this fate is inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim here
I agree with the fact that it is supposed to benefit the majority (well, to me it would be everyone). Justice in society is nothing like justice the concept. Justice in society, even nowadays, is no different from a time when someone had done harm to you, you'd slap them with a glove and challenge them to a duel, demanding reparation. Of course, nowadays we just don't duel each others, but the principle is the same, because during a trial, one demands reparation to another.

I have nothing against this idea, but shouldn't this kind of matter be taken care of in private ? Instead of being made public. Because justice, the concept, is supposed to make us grow, and move on. But justice, the system, is just happy with demanding reparations for Mr or Mrs X, Y or Z. That does not make people move forward.

Sometimes conflicting interests can't be easily negotiated between the parties. Justice then acts as a parent figure, making sure that one doesn't violate the rights of the other. But yes, it would be good if justice was a tool that made a society improve morally, and not only protected the status quo.

It's like someone who's been wronged is holding a hot potato, he doesn't want to hold it for too long because his hands are burning, so justice hands the hot potato over to the one who commited the crime.

Those who suffer an injustice are not satisfied that the person who harmed them are no longer doing it, they want them to also suffer a negative consequence.
My words of wisdom: Every civilization wishes to serve the Deity, but they can only do so to the extent of their wisdom and justice. & The greatest religious revelation is the correct interpretation of the things in the sky.