View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Just Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordnael
Interesting replies here.

Concepts change from generation to generation. What was accepted ages ago is no longer accepted. My understanding is that true justice is a mystery, all humans can do is to speculate, create a provisional justice and keep improving it. It is supposed to benefit the majority, but if the majority or those in power are neither wise nor well intended, then the name Justice is a false front.

I agree with the fact that it is supposed to benefit the majority (well, to me it would be everyone). Justice in society is nothing like justice the concept. Justice in society, even nowadays, is no different from a time when someone had done harm to you, you'd slap them with a glove and challenge them to a duel, demanding reparation. Of course, nowadays we just don't duel each others, but the principle is the same, because during a trial, one demands reparation to another.

I have nothing against this idea, but shouldn't this kind of matter be taken care of in private ? Instead of being made public. Because justice, the concept, is supposed to make us grow, and move on. But justice, the system, is just happy with demanding reparations for Mr or Mrs X, Y or Z. That does not make people move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Justice's purpose is to protect society. Punishment is relevant only as much as it is a deterrent for criminals and criminal wannabes.

Justice should be swift and fair to minimize anger, fear, hate.

Everybody should be considered innocent until proven guilty. The fact that the justice isn't perfect (who/what is perfect?) isn't a reason not to apply it, while working at improving it.

We often make the mistake to believe that we have all the facts, know the laws, and are able to make the correct judgement (like when watching a movie), and jump to conclusions, sometimes applying street justice. That's wrong and should be punished too.

Again, justice should protect society, and minimize anger, fear, hate.

Why don't people take charge of themselves, and learn to master their emotions ? Do you think society should "manage" people, because it's too hard for them ?

Last edited by Just Tim : 16-07-2020 at 11:41 AM.