View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Thanks for your reply.

I won't try to convince you, or anybody else of my views. I just state them for reference, and I'm aware that they may be inaccurate. When I feel that I get into back and fore I back off.

If I told myself some years ago what I believe these days, I would've dismiss it with a condescending smile.

I appreciate the way you think things through, and how you present them.

For me the value of back and fore is that it helps me determine why, whether, or how much I should be convinced of my own views. The way I know this is working is when I look at my present views and see there many things that I once did or would have dismissed as too absurd to be possible. The reason to support my views is to help teach myself more so than others. If another gets something from my post that is good, but I find they are almost always written for me and almost always tell me something about what has been forming deeper inside of me. They seem to be a rather reliable channel into the deeper parts of me.

All of our views are inaccurate in one way or another, and I might even say that all views are fundamentally inaccurate representations of what they try to envision. There are the opinions and views we can discuss with facts and reason, then there is the deeper knowledge that we gain from experience that we often cannot express in words nor convey to another in a way they could understand. NDE accounts like the one in this thread are a good example of the latter, and I generally enjoy reading them. The facts and theories can be discussed, the experiences we just present as a justification of something that we cannot support (or as additional support perhaps) with facts or reason.

I don't mind when someone throws out the "based on my experience" card as a justification for a belief. But I am always a bit perplexed by some who seem to become agitated if I don't accept it as a truth for myself right then and there. I have learned not to callously throw their statements out as in time what once seemed absurd has become understandable and accepted. But of course many have not as well, and in the mean time I am content to put most of them on the shelf in case I wish to revisit them at some point.