View Single Post
Old 28-10-2006, 06:27 PM
tiltjlp

I also voted yes, and agree pretty much with what Jaycee has said. But then, I bypass most of the forum, since most New Age topics don't interest me. On a wide focused forum such as this, a Zero Tolerance policy probably isn't a good idea. But a member who constantly PMs a moderator with the sole purpose of causing trouble needs to be dealt with.

Not knowing the workings of the software for this forum, you probably have some options to get the attention of any troublesome member. You might set their account to Read Only, so they can't post for a while, and maybe deny them access to the PM feature. You volunteer you time to help keep this forum a friendly place for everyone, and you don't deserve to be abused, so if needed, a temporary ban might be in order. And yes, if someone doesn't like how this forum is ran, their only real option is to stop visiting.

I don't post much, because I only post if I have something I feel is worthwhile saying. Post count is unimportant to most people, but there are always some who feel self-important mouthing off. Usually I shake my head and move on, since there's little use in trying to talk sense to such people. From what I can see you're doing a good job. If you don't have past experience as a moderator, you're going to bend over backwards to please everyone. In over ten years running and moderating forums, I can tell you that some people only want to cause trouble. So my advice would be to toughen up and do what you feel is right. Membership on a forum is a privilege, and if someone abuses that privilege, I would first invite them to leave, and then force them to leave.

John