Thread: Murmuration
View Single Post
Old 22-10-2023, 06:25 AM
Master

I am lucky in that respect because we are surrounded by so much wildlife.
We at the beach but surrounded by mile after mile of countryside .
When we drive through the countryside we see all kinds of other birds including sparrowhawks , pheasant etc. Driving at night once the biggest owl I've ever seen flew straight towards our windscreen. It's wingspan was almost as wide as the windscreen. At the last second it veered upwards but was only a split second from been hit . I lurched forward going "Whoaaa, did you see that ?) " and I got as far as I could to the windscreen to see if I could still see it. When I looked round my husband was not there. His hands were still on the steering wheel but he had literally thrown himself into the footwell of the car with the shock of it LOL... ( such a wuss)...
..We were the local newsagents and we delivered to places in the middle of nowhere . My husband delivered to these remote places as not fair to expect the boys and girls to deliver there in the dark on bikes .
But when he first started the deliveries he got a shock . Was pitch black. No streetlights , just a very small torch . And one house had a large open porch outside front door. So he's creeping around in the dark trying to find the letterbox when there was this almighty commotion right next to him.
Turns out it was a peacock on the porch.
He belonged to the family but my husband nearly had heart failure . Over time he got to know the peacock really well. He is called Peter ( the peacock , not hubby )
It's not often that happens though is it? You deliver to a home with a peacock in the grounds !
Oh but they are JUST so beautiful when they fan their tail.