View Single Post
Old 22-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Hmmmm.... does it need to be periodic or is perhaps every thing periodic. I mean given that any from can supposedly be constructed as a combination of sine waves through(with?) a Fourier Series.
Check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds0cmAV-Yek

yeah that is one of the basics mathematically, the fourier or harmonic series can be used to describe any waveform. It basically describes the waveform as a union of 'pure' sine waves with differing frequencies and amplitudes, where the frequencies/amplitudes are chosen based on what you are trying to build. I think you can describe things which aren't periodic but much easier to describe periodic things with this foundation...
Quote:
I think I read you right about the square wave. The lower frequency higher amplitude would correspond to the large radius slower rotating circle (wiper in the vid) that establishes the period, while the faster rotating smaller radius wipers (higher frequency lower amplitude waves) progressively dial in the finer shape of the wave.
exactly....
Quote:
Anyway to tie this back to the thread, if we think of the quantum field as fluctuating (vibrating) with a superposition of different frequency and amplitude waves, it becomes a mater of filtering out the waves one would need to construct the mater they wish to see created. Kind of like that video, but in 3d rather than 2d.

we usually think in terms of 'doing' things so in that light it might be a matter of what to vibrate and how than of a filtering out... but you may be on to something here in that maybe it is a matter of filtering out what you don't want rather than adding what you do. Kinda like how a sculpture is made. Something new to think about, thanks!