View Single Post
Old 22-08-2020, 03:22 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
cool... you know then that really if you are calling a vibration a sine wave then anything that is periodic can be described as a grouping of such? Including an aperiodic sequence of pulses? So for any 'real' thing you want to build out of 'sine wave' vibrations you wouldn't just choose one frequency, you would carefully choose a group of 'related' frequencies and mold them together. And yes both frequency and amplitude matter...
a sine wave is a vibration, sure, but there's no such thing as a pure one. In a lab you can get down to very low distortion but it's still there. I built one at a fixed frequency for testing purposes. It still has c 0.05% distortion as can be seen on a spectral analyser. It's possible to do better but I had no need. The sine output of my freq generator gives about 0.2% at 5kHz.

No, an aperiodic group of pulses is technically 'noise'; it's vibration is irregular so frequency cannot be determined and it's usual to talk about distribution within a band (octave or decade). It can't be compared with a periodic frequency.

Quote:
Interestingly when you try to describe a 'square' wave as such, you have a large amplitude lowest frequency, and smaller amplitude higher frequencies. The lower frequency gives the approximate period and height of the wave, and the higher frequencies give it sharpness/detail. So it would seem that contrary to popular opinion if you want to build something the lower can matter much more than the higher in terms of giving it overall form... but really both are necessary if you intend to get a specific shape.
I got a bit confused with what you're saying here. "the lower can matter much more than the higher?" Are you talking about distinct frequencies or the harmonics on a fundamental of fixed frequency?

A square wave is built on odd numbered harmonics the limits of which are dependent on its rise time and duty cycle (which subtracts from the lower-numbered ones). The fundamental (the frequency quoted) is inevitably going to be larger in amplitude than the harmonics - by how much depends on the resonances of the thing producing the sound so it may not remain truly square.
It's the 'sawtooth' that contains all the harmonics, more useful than square wave in subtractive synthesis. An 'ideal' one contains harmonics at an amplitude inversely proportional to the harmonic number.

Quote:
but it might not be easy to experiment with emotions even if one wanted to because everyone already knows which emotions one should feel and which ones one shouldn't feel (to be accepted in whichever social group they want to remain in)... so studying emotions in any objective way on the basis of the emotions themselves rather than on the social implications of having or not having them is somewhat impossible...
I concluded that about the o/p.
And still believe this talk about "raising vibrations" is snake oil but if it makes people feel batter, fine. Just my view.