View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 05:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thanks imthatim, it is stomach churning barbarity but it's true, definitely not ' Fake News '.
What they have got wrong is that John was a Catholic Convert, He was brought up in a Catholic Family so wasn't a convert but for financial reasons they decided to pretend they weren't, John's conscience must have gotten to Him when asked face to face He couldn't deny His True Religion..
During the reign of Queen Elizabeth your home/land could have been confiscated if you couldn't pay your fines so I presume His Parents didn't have the finances to pay so they kept their Catholicism Hidden, unfortunately John couldn't.
The more I am learning the more I am thinking that it wasn't as much about Religion but ' Obedience ' to the Queen, you do what your told or face the consequences, or maybe a bit of both. Whatever the reasons , ' Man's inhumanity To Mankind ' fits perfectly...

I keep forgetting to ask.... Have you managed your ' Beloved Mountain ' yet ?
Hope so

I am inclined to agree with you that this was more about "obedience to the Queen" than about religion.

Keep in mind that there were reported conspiracies to put the Catholic Mary Stuart on the throne of England so I can understand the perceived importance of having the people show their loyalty via their choice of religion.