View Single Post
Old 29-06-2021, 07:28 AM
Master

I think a secular spirituality which emphasizes values and virtuous conduct without allegiance to any religion is necessary in the world.

This can help to lubricate the differences between the different religions in the world.

Andrei Sakharov was an atheist and soviet scientist who became a dissident, activist for disarmament, peace and human rights.

And also a secular spiritualist who prescribed understanding of morality and inquiry as the only compass in determining right conduct.

Quote:
“I am not a professional politician. Perhaps that is why I am always burdened by doubt about the usefulness and consequences of my actions. I incline to the belief that a combination of moral criteria and unrestricted inquiry provides the only possible compass.” ~ Andrei Sakharov

Sakharov played a major role in disarmament efforts and creating bridges and channels of dialogue between rival nuclear powers of that time. He also empowered the world civil society with his writings so that they would be able to think for themselves and not be brainwashed and led by propaganda. His activities however led him to issues with his own government in his country.

Sakharov was awarded the Nobel prize in 1975. The Sakharov Prize, which is awarded annually by the European Parliament for people and organizations dedicated to human rights and freedoms, is named in his honor.

Sakharov's life, both by example and precept, shows that secular spirituality based on moral criteria and critical thinking, can also advance the cause of peace and justice.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon