View Single Post
Old 15-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Elen0Sila

Sorry to hear about your experiences with fundementalist Christianity! I'm glad that you came out wanting to question, explore, etc.

Quote:
What we were told was that it is believed that the Bible is the inspired word of God... God guided the people who wrote it to write an unbiased account... because it is God-inspired, it can't be wrong. The matter of how they were God-inspired was always fudged over.

I find it very interesting that the "how" wasn't ever discussed. This article talks about the doctrine of divine inspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_inspiration

Quote:
the Bible is a truly human product and its creation was superintended by the Holy Spirit, preserving the authors' works from error without eliminating their specific concerns, situation, or style

The problem with this is that it doesn't say *how* the Holy Spirit superintended the writing of the Bible, and the final statement (that this eliminated variations in style) is not actually born out by the Bible itself. Scholars have found lots of stylistic variation. Also, as far as specific concerns go -- I'm hoping to hear more about Poppies research into Eve ... Space Man references that, and now I'm curious to read more! Have you written about it on this forum, Poppies?