View Single Post
Old 16-02-2023, 01:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
deadlift. your preferred grip. sumo style. overunder hand placement.
Hookgrip. It works well with bigger hands but it takes the thumbs a little while to get used to it. I've seen different ways of hookgripping. Most coaches don't really understand it, so they try to teach the same looking grip to different kinds of hands. I have large hands so my set up for the grip is different to someone with smaller hands, some people have longer fingers compared to a stumpy thumb and vice versa, so I just get athlete into basic a hook grip position without squeezing the bar, and lift and and let the bar just roll the hands into a good place. It feels like it's hanging too low in the hand, but the position the bar finds for itself is about right. It's weirdly counterintuitive because hook grip is all about relaxing and letting it hang - not about squeezing the bar. It takes a while to find your own groove.

I tried to find a good tutorial video for hookgrip, but I only use maybe 3 ques and let the bar sort it out... so I thought this 12 second video was best https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FDMU5JbqX_M

I use the conventional deadlift because my long legs are awkward in sumo stance. I think conventional lift is better for most tall guys because they tend to have long legs proportional to their torso, but if the legs ain't all that long and the body is longer, then maybe sumo. It's really hard to tell, so people usually play around with both styles in the beginning and settle on one or the other. I have a guy that can't do conventional because he's literally a little bulldog lol - that stiff - but he pulls sumo at a God tier level.

Then, there's many reasons people look sloppy deadlifting, commonly they don't engage the lats, they don't pull the slack out of the bar, they try to pull their shoulders back and up instead of pushing arms down. In conventional, their stance is too wide and their arms aren't hanging straight down, they have a little gut that presses into their thighs when in the start position, they look down instead of straight ahead, hip through too late. A tall guy has to think of hips-through a bit earlier than a midget, just above mid shin.

Best deadlift tutorials:

Conventional: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...D-VOqYOJ0rPfnP

Sumo: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7l19wLHHZR9Psf

In the end, most tall lanky guys just aren't built to deadlift. I lift from a rack these days so the bar is just a bit higher off the floor and I can lift like a short guy. Lanky is not great genetics for powerlifting. It's about the proportions of the bones, so really big guys with the strongman build that look like massive short guys are fine, but the narrow sleek basketball physique is never gonna cut it.

Last edited by Gem : 16-02-2023 at 08:39 AM.