Thread: Playing In Dirt
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Master
Play in the dirt? Gardens? My kind of thread!

I have houseplants, a garden, fruit trees and more plants for the yard.

Lots of trees are leafing out, some fruit trees started blooming, the forsythia is finished blooming, rhubarb is up and so are a bunch of other perennials. Mom planted garlic in fall and those are up. I started some flowers inside the house and those have sprouted. She also planted peas, sweetpeas and carrots. I helped with it and have to be sure they get watered as it's hot and no rain clouds in site for the past few days. I'm waiting for the asparagus to start growing. We have a perennial onion called Egyptian (aka Walking onion) which can be eaten now. I've been picking chive and using those on potato salad.

The lilac trees and an ornamental Chinese flowering plum are loaded with flower buds. We have other kinds of trees but are mostly to fill in a windbreak and to add shade for the horses.

I've seen bumblebees and a morning cloak butterfly.

I overwintered a geranium so it's outside now. I bought some annuals and potted up a couple of petunias. I have other annuals and am waiting to be sure that the weather won't turn cold enough to have frost during the night. Then I'll plant them. In the mean time, I'm amending the potting soil so the planters will be ready.

Oh, weeds and grass grow very well!

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12: 7 and 8 (KJV)