View Single Post
Old 13-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
Im still finding it all hard to believe. I think the materialist conditioning of past years has done a good job. I mean, how can you exist when there is no longer a body??!! It seems impossible that a disembodied mind can still function?!!

Hahah I hear ya... Try starting from the opposite end of things ... How could biological cells/matter be responsible for creating consciousness (self-awareness) when analysis of those individual parts (components) does not demonstrate that they exhibit the same qualities as the whole package... In other words we can't prove nor do we claim that neurons in the brain (and elsewhere) possess the quality of consciousness or self-awareness, yet the materialist perspective says that some combination or configuration of these unconscious biological parts/components is supposed to be responsible for creating the phenomenon of consciousness (self-awareness)? They (materialists/reductionists) can't explain it any better than someone can explain how consciousness exists independent of the physical body. So you may find yourself in somewhat of a neutral place or middleground regarding this debate. That's where I think certain unexplainable, transcendental (seemingly supernatural) experiences come into the picture and when sufficiently contemplated I feel they will push one's awareness beyond the belief/perception that the physical body is responsible for creating consciousness or your existence.