View Single Post
Old 22-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoSandwich
One of my favorite koans... it can be difficult to contemplate, but it is really striking :

A monk asked Hsueh-feng "How is it when the ancient stream is cold from the source?"

Hsueh-feng said, "When you look directly into it, you don't see the bottom."

The monk asked "How about one who drinks of it?"

Hsueh-feng said, "It doesn't go in by way of the mouth."

The monk recounted this to Chao-chou. Chao-chou said, "It can't go in by way of the nostrils."

The monk then asked Chao-chou, "How is it when the ancient stream is cold from the source?"

Chao-chou said, "Painful."

The monk said, "What about one who drinks of it?"

Chao-chou said, "He dies."

Hsueh-feng heard this quoted and said, "Chao-chou is an ancient buddha; from now on, I won't answer any more questions."

What a wonderful koan ! Thanks for sharing --- especially the part "he dies".

It reminds me of an interaction with my own spiritual mentor, a revered sage from India who just left her body earlier this week on Friday, February 20th.

I called the ashram one day before going to work to find out when she would be coming to NYC. To my surprise, she answered the phone.

When I expressed my surprise ("I didn't know that you were here"), she responded, "You should know".

When I asked her how she was, she responded "I'm dead".

Initially puzzled, I fumbled for words ("...er....er.... I'm sorry, I guess").

She responded, "You should be happy", and then invited me to visit which I did shortly thereafter.

Immediately after getting off the phone, I understood what she meant and, indeed, was very happy.

Koans are interesting but their impact is quite illuminating when they happen in the moment with an awesomely illuminated being.