View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Deactivated Account
phantom members?

I'm always in awe of the indicated number of members shown as having visited this website on any particular day.

Usernames fascinate me so I've clicked on various ones that caught my eye, hoping to find something interesting about them. When I did I was sometimes told I didn't have the necessary permissions to view - a default message when there's a search error I expect.

So then I started searching manually for those usernames, the ones earlier searches didn't find. Often the new search would find the username but clicking on it then indicated no such member. I didn't check all such entries but I was somewhat surprised that a member shown as visiting the website actually had no entry in the listing of members anyway.

Additionally I found some members registered for a couple of years or more who showed no postings in that whole time but had apparently visited today. That's understandable, though, because some members never post and they visit just to read.

The site's membership statistics indicate over 203 thousand members with perhaps 12% being 'active'. (no indication what 'active' means) The first figure is likely to be the total number of registrations ever made, many of which may have never become active members, however defined. The nearly 2,800 members is still an impressive total but how many might the site be misidentifying as 'active', I wonder?

I love figures.