View Single Post
Old 27-02-2022, 07:30 AM
asearcher

Hi, thank you for sharing, will watch it. (edited, deleted part of my first message to you)

Well I have had my own share with personal experiences with psychopath, narcissist.

I've in the past been in a failed romantic relationship with a guy who was thought by a psychiatrist to be a psychopath.

He pushed and he pushed during, after the break up and so finally I ended up with great difficulties to sleep and panic attacks and I had never had those before in my life, and so I had to see a psychiatrist, scared of what was happening to me.

And so then the whole thing unfold, that I was dealing with a psychopath. That helped to know. Also how to plan the exit. At the time I remember I thought he's not into me no more, he won't stay in contact, he won't try something and the psychiatrist thought I was way wrong. Turns out -- I was way wrong (I hate being wrong!).

At the time I felt ashamed that I had let go of my initial gut feeling of him, and just wanted to forget the whole embarrassing thing (our relationship). Forget it as fast as I could, just let the two of us move on in opposite directions as soon as possible. I was not lingering this on. He was at the discard stage, had been there months before the break up so I thought it would go easy, but for some inexplicable reason he then did not fully want to let me go. And I had to go. Then I did not think he would care that much but then he was at it.

I went no-contact, playing dead basically, cutting off anyone he would and could work through. Had to do it that way or I would not be free. Had to make sure he could not get back in. All and all people have encounter worse psychopaths than I have. I was young, I could brush it off and move into the crowd, and I knew it. I had my mind set to do that and not look back. The panic attacks were long gone then. At first though I did not think I had to go to such extremes to get him out. I thought I was very much easily replaced. I know how he used people, manipulated, saw it happen and it hurt to see, to know, when you are not naive anymore but you truly see what is up. People were like products to him, what use he could have of it, no intention to pay favors back or try to drag it on as much as he could. He would have a charming mask to those not close, we who were close enough like family, me, old friends - we were not treated well.

I think they should teach out about personality disorders in school, educate people about this so they won't be fooled and won't have their lives and, or their savings taken from then. I was however never financially used by the psychopath-boyfriend (in that scenario he had the money by himself, his background, not me). But i have read, heard lots of stories of people being financially used like that.

The greatest tragedy in all this is that they can't feel themselves love, empathy for other people, it's their own loss, but as they have never felt it they don't know what they are missing or are too young to then remember what it was like to feel such feelings. They can't help it later on, as you wrote too, that it is this damage in the brain.

I'm sure lots of people think that there is something wrong with their exes, LOL, but he truly does fit the psychopathy scale/ladder just perfectly, so I do think he was one.

They want power. They take pleasure in getting power, control over another human being. He tried that with me. It's what they do. It's on them but as it happened he had quilt tripped, intimidated me etc.

They're not whole enough to have wholesome relationships, but at the same time I do think they try in their own little ways, but then it gets exhausting to wear a mask all the freaking time and so then the real them turns up, and you get a shock of a life time just seeing that...it is what it is.

We more or less normal ones who can still feel empathy, still feel love - we're the real winners here, we have something so valuable in ourselves that they can not own, they can own the fancy car or the fancy mask etc, , what it now is that they are hunting or having, but they can never have that, and the peace that can come with it. So I think that is a tragedy. That do not excuse what they do, however.

I have had to deal with a narcissist too (different relationship) as a parent in law. I know where they are different this narcissist and my ex, the psychopath but both damaged. The narcissist I do feel sorry for in a way because I understand it got to be this terrible way out of the abuse taking place early childhood. I think it's parent in return was too a narcissist or something like it from what has been described to me. My luv has had control-issues but is not a narcissist, but a classic grown child from a narcissist. Had to go to therapy to sort that out. I am someone who does not like to have things too map out, too much in control and I do not control or wish to control someone else. I think in some ways I have been easy to control, as I haven't cared before so much about it, been partly blind to it, and not in other ways.

Subconsciously however as I have had dominant parent or someone desiring to dominate, this could have been normal to me, or home to me, and it was only later when you have invested a lot in the relationship and is vulnerable in a way when this whole thing starts (all over again), when you really get to see those kind of sides to your partner, but maybe they have been there al along, but in smaller doses so I did not react (as it is "home", "all is as it should be"-not). But it has been an eye-opener to me. Live and learn, I suppose. Ah, that is too something psychopaths, narcissist do not do - they don't live and learn, they are just on repeat. And that's sad too.

Last edited by asearcher : 27-02-2022 at 11:55 AM.