View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
They say our subconscious mind is often aware of many things during the day that our attention is never focused on and so it goes unnoticed. The senses sense, but the conscious mind does not always know what is sensed unless the subconscious mind decides to tell it. Usually, my thinker is off somewhere else, thinking about something else, so my subconscious mind has to yell that much louder to get its attention. It is an interesting exercise when meditating to not just try and refocus ones awareness away from thoughts, but to do so outside and try to allow all of the sensory input to just stream in without trying to put a label on anything or decide what it is or means. That thinker is a useful fellow most of the time, but he can be a bit of an attention hog, sometimes I can't hear the movie over the sound of him analyzing the plot and characters.

time.com/3937351/consciousness-unconsciousness-brain/
The one Morsella and his colleagues came up with is something they call “Passive Frame Theory,” and their provocative idea goes like this: nearly all of your brain’s work is conducted in different lobes and regions at the unconscious level, completely without your knowledge. When the processing is done and there is a decision to make or a physical act to perform, that very small job is served up to the conscious mind, which executes the work and then flatters itself that it was in charge all the time.
The conscious you, in effect, is like a not terribly bright CEO, whose subordinates do all of the research, draft all of the documents, then lay them out and say, “Sign here, sir.” The CEO does—and takes the credit.

I like the story, its a good analogy.

"my thinker is off somewhere else, thinking about something else,"

You and Morsella describe the problems with focussing - you can focus on something and think about other things. Focussing was built that way, to evaluate, learn, and do things with a doer and a done to, a subject and object. So life is about coordination and the challenge is to concentrate. And the CEO takes the credit (or feels like a failure). ...

But then you come to the turning point:
"It is an interesting exercise when meditating to not just try and refocus ones awareness away from thoughts, but to do so outside and try to allow all of the sensory input to just stream in without trying to put a label on anything or decide what it is or means."

yes inside the only moving things are on the tele or in the fish tank ... the subordinates can have more fun outside, and once they start enjoying it they could actually turn the tables on the bosses ... i call it broadband sensing ... Our senses are being used and forced to only focus, forced to work for the bosses, and their natural inborn abilities are being ignored and denied. ... FREEDOM