View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 04:40 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple
hello fellow animal lovers,
i am 68 yr.old, English, and living in Germany. I'm new to this forum and i have a whole series of ideas and no-one to talk with.

My interest is something i call broadband sensing. Animals use it all the time.

Broadband sensing evolved for the purpose of being receptive to and aware of sudden movements and changes with smells, sounds and sights, in the immediate environment.

Non-selective sensing is not a good word to describe it, because this fails to describe the actual activity of being on the watch or ready to be watchful.

Peripheral sensing, refers to the peripheries, humans use this to support a central focus point when driving or cycling, but animals sense everything, nearby and central as well.

I believe our culture dosen't have any word for this, ... So my question is, is there an official name for what i call broadband sensing?

And a couple of ideas to finish with :
Broadband sensing is a vital part of the oldest, original, most natural form of being awake and staying alive. We believe to find peace of mind and be awake in the present moment we need a mental shift of perspective. We only rarely associate this shift of perspective directly with our senses and how we use them.

more on howtobenow.online (not allowed to post links as newbie - hope its ok like that)

have an inspiring day ... and keepitsimple

They say our subconscious mind is often aware of many things during the day that our attention is never focused on and so it goes unnoticed. The senses sense, but the conscious mind does not always know what is sensed unless the subconscious mind decides to tell it. Usually, my thinker is off somewhere else, thinking about something else, so my subconscious mind has to yell that much louder to get its attention. It is an interesting exercise when meditating to not just try and refocus ones awareness away from thoughts, but to do so outside and try to allow all of the sensory input to just stream in without trying to put a label on anything or decide what it is or means. That thinker is a useful fellow most of the time, but he can be a bit of an attention hog, sometimes I can't hear the movie over the sound of him analyzing the plot and characters.

https://time.com/3937351/consciousne...ousness-brain/
The one Morsella and his colleagues came up with is something they call “Passive Frame Theory,” and their provocative idea goes like this: nearly all of your brain’s work is conducted in different lobes and regions at the unconscious level, completely without your knowledge. When the processing is done and there is a decision to make or a physical act to perform, that very small job is served up to the conscious mind, which executes the work and then flatters itself that it was in charge all the time.
The conscious you, in effect, is like a not terribly bright CEO, whose subordinates do all of the research, draft all of the documents, then lay them out and say, “Sign here, sir.” The CEO does—and takes the credit.