View Single Post
Old 29-12-2022, 04:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
An intelligent, self aware species should know better.
In the past there have been attempts at centralising the control of agriculture, but it went horribly wrong. These days there are whispers of the same thing under a different ideology that seems associate clean and green with veganism. Now I see them commandeering farms in Europe, I'm thinking this ain't going to end well.

This is the issue with Malthusianism. The underlying principle is population growth will outstrip resources and I agree, but if we then 'do something' about it, we are signing the death warrants of a few billion individuals. That's OK for the likes of Bill Gates and his mob of merry maniacs who lost touch with humanity along time ago, but it's not OK with me.

My angle is just do the good things: bring more education to people in way-back regions (and get rid of all the nonsense in Western schools), and introduce sustainable growing to all school curriculum, because we find that sustainable practice is decentralised networking that includes both plants and livestock, as well as bugs and worms and stuff.

As people become more educated they have fewer offspring, and as they source foodstuff more locally from a network of smallholders and hobbyists they are most probably part of, the energy use for agriculture, along with that used to manufacture toxic processed food should start to decline, let alone the benefits that come from a shrinking population due to declining rates of birth.

If we don't rush it, the economy will adjust from a perpetual growth, boom and bust model to a stable system that includes multiple mediums of exchange, but from a policy standpoint, we really only have do the good things and the rest will take care of itself even though we let everyone do what they want.

It takes along time. The problem is the maniacs are, like, green 2050, and because that's unrealistic, they will introduce policy based on fables, which will not work, and end in catastrophe.

If we have natural catastrophes, well, that's nature's way. Who's going to stop a flood or an earthquake or a volcano or a meteor? At least let us not create catastrophe for ourselves. Let everything be as it is. Stop trying to control it. We just observe what is without reactivity and respond mindfully in the way that is for the best. We are a natural species. We're part of the whole thing. Unfortunately, humans are highly reactive, controlling, greedy and hateful so we find ourselves in a more spiritual dilemma, which again, needs the space to happen and heal.

They just keep clamping down and making things narrower and more tightly controlled, and that's going the wrong way, IMO.