View Single Post
Old 20-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Master
I highly recommend William James's 'The Varieties of Religious Experience'. It was a book that helped me through a tough time in my life, and really put some things in perspective and was objective, enlightening yet grounding.

The book that got me into Spirituality (besides a terrifying acid trip) was actually 'The Celestine Prophecy', that still holds a place in my heart, and i consider to still have some really good basic sort of ideas, and take on the nature of reality and Spirituality, regardless of some questions i may now have with some of it. Simple and easy to understand.

The other book that was sort of a signpost of sorts on my path is Robert Anton Wilson's 'Cosmic Trigger' the 3rd volume, 'Final Secret of the Illuminati.'

Those just happened to be 3 books that marked certain stages for me, not necessarily saying they are the best or whatever.

I also have been helped immensely by several novels by both Charles ****ens and Philip K ****. I highly recommend ****'s 'Ubiq' & 'Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said'.

As for ****ens, 'David Copperfield', 'Great Expectations' 'Our Mutual Friend' & 'Tale of Two Cities' are among my faves from him. Not Spiritual i guess, but full of wisdom none the less in my opinion. Same goes for ****. 'VALIS' was an important book for me also, it was a semi autobiography of ****, basically outlining some of his personal experience with mental illness/Spiritual awakening. Actually 'David Copperfield' was ****en's semi-autobiographical novel. Coincidentally, both Valis & David Copperfield were the first book i read of each author.

I cannot think specifically, but Carl Jung I have read a lot of, and is one author that has had a significant influence upon my understanding of Spirituality and Psychology. 'Man & His Symbols' is considered and was written as the best introduction to him.