View Single Post
Old 23-11-2022, 06:20 AM
Knower
Coming prepared for this film certainly helped. When I first saw the previews of this film, while I was waiting for an entirely different film to start, it thrusted me unexpectedly back into WWII. I was totally unprepared. Still, many of the scenes of this film were emotional to watch. I could feel it in the pit of my stomach. In this life, I am forever watching the sky whenever I hear an aircraft flying overhead -- I have to look. It is what we did as young, keen aviators.

My girlfriend asked me if the flak was as bad as it was depicted in the movie or was that just Hollywood. I said, "Yes, it could be that bad". It was worse if you saw the lead formations get targeted, knowing that in a minute or two it will suddenly shift over to your formation. Not the first time I remember experiencing shells exploding around me from a past life but certainly the only time I experienced it while flying at 18,000 feet.

My girlfriend asked, "How is it no one was damaged from all that?". I just said, "Just because you are still flying doesn't mean you didn't suffer damage. The aircraft could have taken superficial damage or the real damage hasn't affected the aircraft yet. Some aircraft may have had a number of holes punched through their fuselages and may have sustained damage that will be discovered within the next few hours or after landing". In the film, the Chinese gunners probably haven't had enough experience yet to know how to aim properly -- give them time.

PastPilot