View Single Post
Old 15-09-2022, 06:45 AM
Master
Personally, I'm not concerned with abstractions of the future, and since this is the truth of myself as I am now, there is only observation and examination of the physical/mental interplay and my own contentedness with 'this as it is'.

Everything else like Jhana (whatever that is) and all the things, the overall purification etc., is of natural consequence to the stillness of my conscious awareness.

The breath is a good object to start training the mind with because it is extremely refined - all you do is feel this single breath, then the next, with complete attention and ardent awareness of every delectable detail. That's all. No addition.

I recommend using a timer and sitting up straight (cuz reasons). My opinion is anything less that 30 minutes work is selling yourself short, and an hour is pretty much perfect - a bit difficult, but doable.

A timer helps with persistence and determination. Without a timer you quit whenever 'you don't feel like it'. Some days the allotted time is wonderful so no worries. Other days it's rough as guts. But do it in full no matter what. Almost always you find when at first you didn't feel like it, later you are so glad you did it anyway. When you notice the whiny voice start whinging like a little bword, "I don't feel like it, wah wah wah," meditation is already noticing, This is negativity... is that now going to rule my life? You will notice the positive one is also is there, quieter with deeper conscience, always knowing what is for the best. Be honest about that and walk the path of truth.

The immediate benefits should be feeling just a bit more relaxed, little more patient and contented during the day, maybe a bit friendlier and probably a bit more attentive in noticing little things that you might usually miss.

The only warning is, if done in the 'pure observation/nothing added' style I suggest, the purification will release straight away in the first session (though you might not recognise the signs), and self-care is necessary because exposed 'wounds' are sensitive and delicate. As much as possible one needs a 'protected space' and crude, brutal people who 'get in your ear' etc. have to be kept away.

Last edited by Gem : 15-09-2022 at 11:51 AM.